Hi All,

I have owned a TR4A for about 25 years, all that time it has been under restoration or in storage as we dealt with Kids houses schooling etc. suspect I am the only one that has ever happened to.

My problem started when not long after starting the resto, I had the car stripped chemically in a large dip. Car came out like new with shinny steel panels. It was so effective, all traces of paint, body sealer, rust, and worst of all the commission plates where removed or dissolved. Later told I should have removed the plates.. really..!

As the years past we moved from here to there, my original purchase paper work disappeared, and without commission/chassis numbers I going to find it hard to register the car here in Victoria. There will be ways around it I hope, but will likely end up with a non-Triumph commission number.

I'm now working to finish the car and whilst at the painters I noticed a metal tag in left rear wheel arch, welded/soldered to body with a series of numbers and a letter.

Can anyone tell me if this can be traced back to original commission numbers somehow please?

Here's Hoping,

Russell

Sunny Melbourne, Oz.

post-13351-0-15003400-1427294469_thumb.jpg

You may be able if the car has its original engine be able to find out its chassis number through BMH http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/archive-services/ It may take a while and be more expensive than normal but it should be possible.

Stuart.

I'm now working to finish the car and whilst at the painters I noticed a metal tag in left rear wheel arch, welded/soldered to body with a series of numbers and a letter.

Could you report the series of numbers & letters!? :unsure:

Regards

Could you report the series of numbers & letters!? :unsure:

Regards

The numbers on the arch tags dont really mean anything as no-one has any records of them, it will be something like Zxxxxxx

Stuart.

Other suggestions, on top of the one from Stuart (Deduction based on the engine n° via the BMH):

• Any old bills or receipt (e.g. Maintenance, insurance) with the comm. n °?
  • Contact the insurance company or the dealer to check if they have access to their “old” records.
  • If you still have or know the registration number, the registration office (or similar in Australia) have archives & data base and may help you!
  • Cold heading on the main frame. I do not know for the TR4 in Australia but this is available for some markets e.g. for the TR6 manufactured in Belgium/Malines for the French market

If it is not the case, you know the strory, if you have 2 options, take the 3rd one!

Regards

Thank you all for your replies,

unfortunately all I have is the Z number and sounds like that is a dead end.

Engine is not original, and it has never been registered in Victoria, so I have no record of previous registration to pursue.

Thankyou all again.

Russell.