fuel consumption?

Would be interested in other peoples fuel consumption.

Yesterday I did a trip from Cambridge to Doncaster (to see the Vulcan - great) and back. All on the A1 at 70~75 mph and got 23mpg, there and back with the top down. I was hoping for a bit higher mpg.

My TR6 is a 150 bhp 1973 with OD. It seems to be running well with lots of grunt but does seem to be running a bit rich (going by the plugs and exhaust).

cheers

mike

25\26 is about mine, may get it bit more with a bit less right foot. Managed near on 30 in my previous TR5 but that was down to Southern France probably averaging high 50s mph. Had a SU carb Tr6 that easily did 30+....not quite as muck poke tho.

Mike

My 6 is running rich also (awaiting new throttle bodies) and I got about 26 mpg on a round trip Brisbane, Sydney, Brisbane - about 1250miles

graze

Just a stupid question from a continental “Frog” (l./100 Km) , when you are talking about mpg between guys from UK, Australia & NZ and US (not yet the case in this post but it may happen) is everybody consider Imp. mpg (vs US mpg) ? :huh:

As fare I know in Australia & NZ they use liters, in UK Imp. Gallons (4,55 l) and in US US Gallons (3,8 l).

BTW please find a useful link for car enthusiasts w/ direct conversion concerning consumption (Imp. mpg, US mpg, l/100 km), vulumes (Imp. Gallon, US Gallon, Liter), speed (mph vs kmh)…. : http://www.tdiclub.com/misc/conversions.html

For the distance it is ok no issue w/ land miles (1.609 m.) vs nautical miles (1.852m)… unless we are in contact with a Triumph enthusiast owning an amphibian car w/ a Triumph Herald engine. :D

Regards

Marc. sorry old school. In my case miles and UK gallons.

I understand the problem, I work in the Oil industry which still works mostly in imperial units. Very strange to get drawing in inches! but you get used to it. I had a report recently of a bit thread that used units of 1/64 inches......

Mike

Marc

Yes kms and litres here now ( although mpg and miles when I started driving). My '75 TR6 has km and miles per hour on the speedo.

Graze

reminds me of when I got my first job working for the UK Foreign Office. I was spending some time in a metal shop and someone brought in a drawing of something they wanted me to make out of box steel. I made it as per the drawing and then phoned the guy to tell him it was ready and that me an a couple of guys could help him put it on a truck for him. He replied "no, need I'll just stick it in my boot".....I was confused....

until someone pointed out that 140 meant 140 millimeters...not 140 centimeters...my introduction into more precision work!!

It's important to make sure you are both working in the same mesurements

Edited by AlstrMK

On a long steady (70-ish mph) from Essex to Exeter and back, my TR6 averaged 29mpg

That's a mildly tuned 3.5 V8 with a Stag gearbox (28% O/D)

Simon

.... and with properly lean cruise mixture and spark advance appropriate for lean, part-throttlle running.

Neither of which can be enjoyed by the PI 6s.

Peter

Is there an idiots guide to adjusting the MU?

I need a leaner mixture and would like to take a crack at it myself, if it is considered within the capabilities of the common man

reminds me of when I got my first job working for the UK Foreign Office. I was spending some time in a metal shop and someone brought in a drawing of something they wanted me to make out of box steel. I made it as per the drawing and then phoned the guy to tell him it was ready and that me an a couple of guys could help him put it on a truck for him. He replied "no, need I'll just stick it in my boot".....I was confused....

until someone pointed out that 140 meant 140 millimeters...not 140 centimeters...my introduction into more precision work!!

It's important to make sure you are both working in the same mesurements

Same issue on my side, student summer job in the Us in a warehouse w/ a big mistake to build up partitions. :rolleyes:

Regards

Is there an idiots guide to adjusting the MU?

I need a leaner mixture and would like to take a crack at it myself, if it is considered within the capabilities of the common man

+1 w/ John/ wjgco maybe not a lean mixture but a leaner one ! Any guidance ! I see a lot of information, charts... available on the web but no real advise on how to do it/ at least basic stuff.

Regards

We're at risk of forgetting that mixture and spark timing go hand in hand.

There's not a lot of point in leaning the mixture without also advancing the spark.

A typical engine at cruise rpm will need around 45-50BTDC to compensate for a leaner mixture that burns slower.

The carb saloon mixture and timing will be a useful guide, with vac advance operating, because the cylinder head etc is near identical..

But the PI cannot be leaned properly without encountering the pinking upon flooring the throttle: that lean spike.

Running lean without advancing the spark wont improve consumption much. Because, for a lean mixture, the spark will come too late on standard TR6 disy, the flame ends up chasing the piston down the bore not pushing it properly.

Peter

For those wanting to try, set the AFR to 15, a typical crusie mixture for older engines, and see what happens to mpg when the vac capsule is connected to the throttle edge.

Edited by Peter Cobbold

I get at least 30mpg on my PI ;) even two up and all the gear needed for Le mans :D

Peter

Good morning

I understand the basic link between mixture and ignition advance / retard

For those wanting to try, set the AFR to 15, a typical crusie mixture for older engines, and see what happens to mpg when the vac capsule is connected to the throttle edge.

AFR? Help a simple steam man

Given that the ignition adjustment is simple, how is the MU adjusted?

On my PI the vaccuum capsule (advance / retard?) is not connected. I assumed that this is the case for PI '6's

John,

Before attacking the metering unit I would read and understand Technicalities Section L. If you don't although you might get lucky you risk a whole load of grief. The vacuum advance is not connected on PI cars.

John,

Following on from what the 2 Pete's have said! Have you done a compression check? Have you done a vacuum check? Have you done an A/R check on the exhaust? The first 2 items have a major effect on the A/R mixture. Unfortunately TR PI's have to run rich by modern standards.

Bruce.

Bruce

A/R?

I know that, in full running condition, currently, hydrocarbons are up at 8000ppm whilst CO is within MOT emissions limits

Compression test has been on the cards for a month or so, but, other things keep getting in the way, not least the need for a 2nd body to crank the engine. These are particularly rare in my family. The ones that do exist, always seem to have other vital things to do

Apologies to Mike, I think there is some topic highjacking going on here

I can start a new one, if needed

Pete

Regarding knowing what I am doing . . . . The Technicalities Section is a definate destination. Whether I understand what I am reading or not, is a different issue!

Hence the 'idiots guide' request

There's no idiot's guide that I'm aware of John. That would be down to too many interactions between the various adjustments that can be made I imagine. Even a skim read of the Technicalities section will give you an idea of what you're in for. If you do make any adjustments, document them so you can go back however many steps you need to to get to a sensible situation.

Are your spark plugs showing a correct colour i.e a straw colour? If not then you can start looking for rich/lean mixture.

My car regularly does 30+ on a run that you described in your original post,push on a bit though and it will drop quite dramatically,driving style is a big factor as are weather and traffic conditions. The Jaguar will also top 30mpg on a long run with the cruise control set at 80/85mph,pretty good for a 4ltr V8 auto,use the sport button and right foot and single figures are possible!

Just to make everyone gasp....

I have a TR4A with standard engine, tuning and overdrive. Fully laden with two people in it we got about 36mpg to Nice in the south of France and back over the Alps. Regularly get over 30mpg. Don't know how it does this. Not running lean or anything.

Just before anyone says check your calculations we went to the Dordogne area with a fellow TR owner and his wife in their TR4A which had a race tuned engine. They used far more fuel than we did for the same journey.

Keith

c'est la vie!