Hi Folks,

yesterday I took the 4A out for its first run in about 5 weeks.

During this five week period I sorted out the boot lid - a little bit of rust (actually quite a lot).

And sorted out corrosion under the paint on the Ali surrey top rear frame.

The car was parked outside with a cover over it.

When I backed out yesterday there was a clonk from the rear brakes as I had left the handbrake on :huh:

When I got underway I found that the front brakes didn't sound too clever either.

A definite pulsating from the brakes that calmed down a bit but didn't go away.

Today I took the discs off and quickly found the cause.

Moisture had been sitting between the pads and the disc and caused a fair bit if rusting compared to the rest of the disc.

The discs were quite worn as were the pads so I decided to replace rather than clean.

The Vertical Link and TRack rod end I fitted last summer were seriously rusty.

This was sorted with Bondarustprimer and a top coat.

Off to Moss for new discs. I have the EBC vented variety.

On attempting to fit new disc to hub I found one of my bodges from a previous life.

One of the four holes in the hub for the disc attachment had its thread stripped.

Luckily I have some 3/8unf helicoils - so that was sorted (as it should have been previously)

Anyway it is all back together, but I did spot some rusty body work in the wheel arch area - tomorrows job.

Roger

Hi Neil,

indeed. I think the main problem was water being blown horizontal under the cover and into the wheels.

I shall have to wrap her up and put into the garage in future - after drying the brakes.

Roger

Off to Moss for new discs. I have the EBC vented variety.

Hi Roger,

does that mean you have the dimpled and slitted discs and got them

without buying a complete set?

Thought only a complete set could be obtained?

How did you manage that and what was the price?

Hi Roger,

thank you, I think they improved to offer now the discs as spares

but unfortunately they are not on stock and they excluded them from the actual discount....

I do enjoy my fun. The 4A is full of fun. I found some more fun today. Whilst sorting the brake discs I noticed a few areas of rust.

So today I removed the wheel arch liners (for better access) and spotted an area between the liner and the wheel arch (it's amazing how and where rust will form).

No problem thinks me. I gave it a blast with my fibre wheel and the rust miraculously disappeared - I now had a hole :o:wacko:

Tidy the hole up and weld in a a small insert.

The wheel arch liner has had a hard time and is starting to split in places so I decided to bolster it up with a few fibreglass repairs.

Tomorrow the liner goes back in (unless I find some more fun!!)

Roger

When I fit them I put them in with Rivnuts so that you take them out again easily and also stonechip them underneath so any stones thrown up dont crack them so easily.

Stuart.