Ok so I have managed to put a few miles on the TR the last few days and notice that the temp gauge seems to hover very close to the red regardless speed. Ambient temp hasn't been overly warm, so I would have expected the motor to be running cooler.

Now I know this type of temp gauge is not particularly accurate, but I don't recall it indicating that temp level before.

At idle the Kenlowe does kick-in and the temp gauge does fall noticeably below the red .

There has always been antifreeze in the system and I did perform a full flush of the cooling system with 2-step radflush. The block's drain-tap flowed easily to drain, so I doubt there is blockage somewhere.

So learned friends, any suggestions or am I being a little paranoid as I don't recall the gauge indicating near the red before.

Lazz

Lazz -

Is your engine modified? (compared with when

you last ran it)

AlanR

The motor has obviously been heavily modified since I first got it whilst developing into its current guise, however no change to motor since last outing. Been sitting in heated garage for long time, but had been started and run occasionally to keep things lubricated. Checked the thermostat and that working fine. Its a 75º thermo so happy with that.

Edited by olazz

Roger,

Car was last run properly about a year ago, about 10 miles only. It really hasn't been used much in last 7 years, but it was put away in full running order and after a full service/fluid change/brake/clutch flush and fresh coolant with antifreeze and a liberal dose of ACF50 and Fluid-Film.

Timing is spot on so no issues there.

I'm wondering if the gauge itself is the problem. Still running the original Jaeger gauges so perhaps needs to change. Will pull the sensor out and test that too before I change anything.

Lazz

Easy things first: check the sender on the thermostat house. Check the wiring. Then: how accurate is your fuel gauge(...). The temp & fuel gauge are connected to the volt stabilizer. Replace that item before anything else. (Item sits behing the dash). Best to read this first, though: http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/26581-tr4-fuel-gauge/ Apart from that: perform a search for more related threads.

If that doesn't work: work your way back: black cardboard shroud in place? When was the radiator flushed/recored. Do you have the correct (PSI) radiator cap? Etc. There's tons of info about this item on the forum. Try a search for more (well: complete...) info.

Menno