Plenum chamber drains

Am I being dim here ? I mean, the plenum is the box area below the scuttle vent, right ? So why has our car got no drain holes ?

We're at the paint stage now (at last !) and I need to do the draining mod before it all goes together, but where should the drain holes be ? Corners. presumably, but front or rear, as it all seems pretty flat ?

Thanks,

Anthony

Edited by Superaquarama

A Google image search on " Triumph TR4 plenum " throws up a very rusty plenum section, showing the stub drain pipe in the corner.As viewed from underneath.

I assume that in a former life, your car was patched over, i.e. no drainage, when the metal stubs/ bottom of the plenum rusted through.

Once rectified, carry out the modification of running the rubber drain hose down into the sill section and immediately out again, on the vertical sill section( inboard ) onto the road.

An alternative route is via the metal baffle plate 750150 /750151 / splash panel. having drilled a hole through them.A picture is in the Moss catalogue 2014 Front Inner body panels and fittings pages 116 or 118.

The original drain pipe route finished sandwiched between the outer wing and inner body tub , simply dripping water onto the sill.Rusty sills followed shortly thereafter as part of the design fault.

Pictures are in Roger Williams book " How to restore Triumph TR4 & TR4A " ( ISBN number 1-903706-04-1 ) chapter 4, page 50.Your local library should be able to help you out if you don't have a copy.

Suitable rubber grommets for the newly drilled holes recommended after you've had the paint job.

Bob

Edited by bob-menhennett

Corners. presumably, but front or rear, as it all seems pretty flat ?

Anthony

Anthony,

Your description of the plenum doesn't sound right, maybe plated as Bob mentions above.

Here is a picture behind the dash area of the LH side of a LHD car. The drain is marked with a circle on the left of the picture. There should be a corresponding drain on the RH side also.

TR6-015a%20drain_zpswog6r1zy.jpg

Cheers

Graeme

Edited by graeme

If you pm me your email, I'm sure I have a photo of the mod made to my 4

You will possibly find that they were deleted because this had happened.

MarksTR5180.jpg

I always run the drain out and through the bottom of the splash panel

MarksTR5712_zpsa191ed2a.jpg

and add an extra drain on 4/4a/5 for the drip rails like this

MarksTR5249.jpg

Stuart.

Yes it is possible, it's a fiddle but can be done

:)

Mmm, this is a bit bizarre - we don't seem to have a plenum chamber per the photos at all, let alone drains !

The car's a 4A which came in from California and had very little rust, although we did replace the floors as per usual and also the panel below the battery; that was about it. Even if it had a 'heater delete' option originally, like some warm climate American cars, surely it would have still had the plenum, and anyway it has a heater and the controls, although the car was in bits when bought so I never saw how it went together. The box below the scuttle vent was and is rock-solid, incidentally.

In any event, it looks as though I'll have to get a plenum chamber if they're still available, or fabricate one if not.

Many thanks to you all for the comprehensive replies and particularly for the useful photos.

Edited by Superaquarama

Most odd indeed. Can you post a pic of what you have (or haven't).

I would have thought that the plenum would have added to the structural strength of the dash area considerably.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Doh, doh and thrice doh !

I was looking in entirely the wrong place for these drains, I thought they'd be exiting somewhere below the scuttle vent, not out at the sides of the scuttle ! So I've found the blighters now and everything is after all as it should be, and pleased to say that they're rock solid so I can get on with the modded drains.

So humble apologies to all for setting this false hare running, but thanks again for all the help in focussing on it, without which I'd still be stuck.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I did some searching on my newly purchased TR4a last night. It was rebuilt around ten years ago. I have found the drain outlet from the plenum for which it has a pipe on it but I cannot find the end of it. I have the fibreglass panels in the wheel arches but doesnt look like there are any hidden outlets behind them. I am thinking next step will be for me to remove a front wing so I can confirm where the pipe goes unless someone else can advise of possible exit points.

Drain%20tube_zpsc4rcxzlh.jpg

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

if you remove the wheel arch liner and the infill panel between body and wing you should be able to see what is going on.

If you have a short stubby drain allowing water to flow onto the sill it will eventually rot the sill away.

You need a longer pipe venting the water away from the sill. Can be fitted without wing removal (I think)

Roger

Yes it can be done with the wing in situ, bit of a fiddle but possible

Tom

Revington TR does a neat drainage kit and I have fitted these to my TR'S. i drill through the top of the sills and exit out of the side of the floor pans.If you would like a photo PM me and I will email it back if that helps.

Regards Harry

Hi there

This is what I had done last year when sill had to be replaced.

The drain tube goes through the sill with about half an inch poking out the bottom to check it doesn't get blocked.

Christine

Hi Christine,

does the lower end of the pipe come out on the vertical face of the lower inner section of the sill. If it does then it is very functional. :)

If it goes straight down :o then the bottom of the wing may have an interesting time when fitted.

Roger

Hi Roger, the hose (which is one continuous smooth bore hose) goes vertically down from the joint with the short upper rubber hose. It enters the sill cavity through the upper horizontal surface and turns 90 degrees (a gentle bend) and exits through the inner sill cavity wall which is a vertical steel panel. And the pipe extends about 20mm which ensures it cannot retract back into the sill. The whole procedure is simple and cheap and merely requires that the 2 holes (top and inside edge) are aligned so that the hose can be pushed through. The hose is a snug fit in the holes so will not move or become dislodged.

Additionally my mechanic advises me that the passage of air beneath the moving car will help to suck anything within the hose via the siphon principle. All parts bought from B&Q for under £10.

I'm merely listing all this out for the benefit of others, not you Roger.

BTW Betty in hospital awaiting exploratory op to see what's causing her 'clunk, discounted UJ's as service history shows done. One wonders how many miles uj 's last?

Christine

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent Topic re Plenum drains, made me think, I know when I rebuilt the car I fitted the drains but due to this I will check mine now and look at the drain exits.

Fantastic Forum 4 We tr4rs