Broke down at the Stoneleigh show today :-( advice please ?

I was sitting in the long queue to get in and the revs dropped and died :-( spark on the plugs and fuel coming through ?? 2 very nice Herald guys helped me push car half a mile into show grounds then tried bump starting and seemed fine , parked up in hall all good , went to drive home and sounded like it was firing on 3-4 cylinders so i tried changing over the coil the car has 2 ? Still lumpy but better limped home but as I was nearly home it seemed almost back to normal . Any ideas guys .....

2015-03-01-18-30-31_zps1ajkobmt.png

Hi,

you were just in front of me in the queue but I couldn't help (tow rope in the 4A at home).

I see you are on SU's - check the dampers for enough fluid.

For starters -

Change to the dizzy capacitor, New rotor arm,

Roger

Temp only slightly over half way ,The previous owner recently had electronic ignition and hi output plugs but said his coil was not coping so he fitted a better coil , but I find it odd he still has the 2 coils in the engine bay ? Maybe there was problems with coils overheating and he swapped over leads as and when ? Ht lead and fuel evaporation was also suggested to me at the club stand .

Did not feel it at the time , I only tried the coil as a last result .. when it totally stopped first time I tried a plug onthe block , there was a spark So the coil was obviously doing something , and i removed fuel line it was coming through .

It has no heat shield behind the carbs so maybe evaporation ? But then i was moving through cold air at 60mph when it started playing up again on the way home ...

Just when you think everything thing is ok.........they bite you on the ar@e !!

My 6 stated to bite me after a few weeks of ownership.

I've had numerous problems to deal with and in the end enough was enough and I went to an expert to sort the car out.

Never had a TR before or any other Triumph. I knew nothing about them and didn't know what was right with my car ...or wrong with it.

There is a lot of knowledge available from all sorts of good people on here and they offer good advice (and guidance).

Wanting to drive my car, I ended up trying to fix everything and problem after problem followed and I ended up losing confidence in the car.

I'm not saying that you're in the same situation as I was, but if little problems keep following one after the other, it could be worth while taking your new pride and joy to a TR expert. Best thing I ever did and I now have a "this car will go from Scotand to Cornwall and won't breakdown "guarantee. (Thanks Stuart )

Anyway what I have learnt is......

Replace ignition bits with stuff from Distributor Dr -points , red rotor, dizzie cap , condenser

Mine seems to like NGK plugs.

Don't fit dodgy Chinese electronic ignition !!

Check dashpots

Accelerator cable has a habit of causing problems. Mine decided to fall apart.

Keep well away from waterless coolant !! Apparently made from "snake oil " !!!

My car runs a lot better without it.

Make sure you talk to your car on a daily basis, give cuddles and make sure you tell her a bedtime story. Like minis, they have feelings and you don't want to upset her now do you !!

Hi Carl,

Quite a few people have two coils fitted under the bonnet. I think it began with the rally boys to have one permanently in position as a spare. I have two and a mate of mine has two also, so perhaps it is just an innocent reason for having two rather than thinking things might have been dodgy

I swap mine over at the beginning of each year, so I know that all is well with the spare.

I've also got two electric facet fuel pumps and I switch those over at the beginning of the year too. They are wired so that you only need to change one wire to switch pumps, five seconds and your in business.

Mind you, mines a 4 put banger and not one of those cars with 50% more cylinders.

You'll soon get it sorted if you follow the advice of the others on here.

All the best.

Dave.

Not sure which ignition either ,I only had the car a few days , but thinking it may not be functioning correctly !

Thanks for your interesting post crawfie , I do like to have a go myself , so I will persevere for now :-) and seems I will be getting some usefull advice thankyou all , and if that fails I will try talking to the car lol

Hi Carl,

Quite a few people have two coils fitted under the bonnet. I think it began with the rally boys to have one permanently in position as a spare. I have two and a mate of mine has two also, so perhaps it is just an innocent reason for having two rather than thinking things might have been dodgy

I swap mine over at the beginning of each year, so I know that all is well with the spare.

I've also got two electric facet fuel pumps and I switch those over at the beginning of the year too. They are wired so that you only need to change one wire to switch pumps, five seconds and your in business.

Mind you, mines a 4 put banger and not one of those cars with 50% more cylinders.

You'll soon get it sorted if you follow the advice of the others on here.

All the best.

Dave.

Thanks for the hospitality today Dave, hope you had a good day. The chair was really comfy and the coffee a treat.

Well would not start at all today, so I changed the battery put a big 110amp Porsche one on it , but nothing :-( had a spark, when I took off fuel line the petrol was pouring out without the pump on ? Is that some sort of Capillary action ??

Anway put both back on but had noticed the spade connections to coil were quite loose so put new ones on and YAY fired up, I then drove for 20 miles without any problems ! so hopefully that has cured it , fingers crossed :-)

Carl

Great news! Perhaps regular switching between the coils has caused that! Be certain that spades are clean. Emery paper is your friend!

In my TR3A I mounted the coil on the inner wing, thus making sure it will not overheat when strapped on the engine's side. I know it's a no-no for some of us here, but apparantly, nowaday's fuel makes it a lot hotter under the bonnet - causing the coil to overheat.

For better hot weather (slow driving when hot) I can recommend a heat shield between the exhaust manifold and the underside of the carbs. Numerous examples of that available on the 'net.

Good luck with your TR. And what Crawfie said: a well sorted TR will bring you from Scotland to Cornwall - and back without problems.

Menno

Hi Carl,

if you disconnect the pipe from the tank to pump then the fuel will pour out.

Having found a dodgy connector have a look at ALL of them and sort where necessary.

Roger

PS - to echo Menno's comment; the TR will take you from Cornwall to Scotland and back again - in 48Hrs, with a silly grin on your face, all the way round.

Edited by RogerH

I might look into the heatshield thanks, and will go through the connections , I fancy a decent drive as soon as we have another nice day to check all is deffo ok :-)

Hi Carl

Nice 250 you have there. As the others have said don't give up on it just because of a few hiccups. It's taken me 28 years of GT6 ownership before I've finally got it behaving the way It should. Although I must admit most of the problems stemmed from 'improvements' I had carried out. Two things I would recommend:-

Carb heat shields- I had to fabricate my own because I'm running on SU's and

Exhaust heat wrap- the under bonnet temperature reduction is considerable.

Twin coils sounds like the way to go and I'll definitely be including this when I finally get my own 250 resto underway.

My Sister-In-Law lives in Stoneleigh and didn't even know about the show ground until we appeared one weekend for the Coventry Festival Of Motoring.

I'm hoping to get to next year's Triumph event. I've been dragged away for a weeks skiing in France by SWMBO this time around. Life is tough!

Cheers

Alan

. Emery paper is your friend!

I will rub it over your hands if you do!

Use scotch-Brite, that green plastic stuff made by 3M.. I won't bore all with the reasons.

Emery or sand paper is a big no.

Cheers,

Iain.

P.S. Great for cleaning alloy rice pans.

I will rub it over your hands if you do!

Use scotch-Brite, that green plastic stuff made by 3M.. I won't bore all with the reasons.

Emery or sand paper is a big no.

Cheers,

Iain.

P.S. Great for cleaning alloy rice pans.

I don't know you sir and you don't know me. In fact after 16 posts, I think that a lot of us do not know you yet. I think your comment regarding my hands was a little unnecessary I think. Anyway, thank you for the rest of your posting, letting us know that you prefer Scotch Brite! And please share with us why you prefer this. Do bore us.

Menno

Menno,

I think the inference would be that Emery cloth can carry metal particles which can sometimes cause interference or shorts if used on electrical components, the Scotch Brite doesn't suffer with the same problems. I think perhaps the exposition of choice could have been put forward with a little more er...decorum.

Mick Richards