Hi Torque Starter Motor

Hello, searched the form but the advice isn't, or clear enough for me. I have upgraded my clutch to the 8 and a half inch clutch and cover, does this mean I have the TR6 ring gear?, or how do I work out which ring gear I have as I replaced my flywheel with a second hand lightened on, any advice welcome, Thanks, Andrew

Hi Andrew ~

Is your ring gear bolted or heat shrunk on the flywheel?

I've recently renewed my clutch on the 3A to a diaphragm type (4A) and a Laycock pressure plate and

fitted a lightened steel flywheel.

My ring gear is bolted on just like a 4A. I also have a high torque starter motor.

If you'd like some photo's of my set-up then please PM me your eMail address.

Tom.

Hi Tom, unfortunately, I am doing this arse about face, I replaced the clutch etc last year and am doing the starter motor (amongst other things) this year, so the engine and gearbox are connected up and in the car, I have removed the old starter so have attached a picture of what bit of the ring gear I can see, does that help?, thanks, Andrew

Hello Alec, this is what happens when you start changing things, there appear to be two types listed, one for a standard 4A with bolt on ring gear and on for a 4A with TR6 ring gear

Triumph TR2-TR4A (TR6 ring gear) LMS007 Denso 1.0kW

Triumph TR3A with bolt on r/g TR4/4A LMS006 Denso 1.0kW

It appears the difference is one tooth and that tooth is a very important tooth so I need to get it right, I was hoping that the photo would help but it appears not, it looks like my starter motor upgrade will have to wait until I have the gearbox out, I think it is the TR6 ring gear but not sure if you can tell the difference peering through the hole the starter motor goes into, Cheers, Andrew

You can count the teeth if you mark a tooth put the car in 4th and push it and mark and count off until the original marked tooth comes around.

Mick Richards

Hi Andrew,

logically you should have post-50K 3A through 4A ring gear, bolt-on, 202834 on a 4 cylinder engine with diaphragm clutch and matching flywheel.

Unlikely to be an earlier shrink-on ring gear 201454

Nothing to do with the 6-pot ring gear 201350

Cheers

Alec

Pain is that 201350 will fit where a 201454 will go. Think Vanguard here that used the bomb starter but a smaller bendix gear.

Peter W

Hi

The starters have a 9 or 10 tooth pinion. Best advise is to count the teeth on your current starter and get that. As you know, the cars age or engine number is not a good indication of the parts currently fitted. I have a 1960 TR3A but it is fitted with a TR2 flywheel (pressed on ring gear) and a TR6 pressure plate