Loose power turning right

Cant see it being fuel - the float chambers have enough fuel to run for a hundred yards or so.

It dies, doesn't merely misfire, suggesting all the sparks are lost. Maybe as well as low tension, check HT lead on coil is not swinging out and breaking continuity.

Peter

Indeed the sudden onset does suggest ignition. Change all the components (coil, rotor arm, dizzy capacitor etc ) - one at a time - to see which is failing.

Also in changing these items perhaps a dodgy wire may surface.

I had a similar problem but not exclusive to turning right. The little LT wire inside the dizzy came adrift at its solder connection next to the post.

It took 1 1/2 hours to find by the roadside and 2 minutes to fix.

Roger

• 1 month later...

FIXED!

The problem got worse over the weekend, it continued to loose power in right turns and extended to loosing power when going over bumps.

I ran a new wire directly to the coil from the battery - > no change

I rewired the low tension in the dizzy-> no change

I changed the points & condensor -> no change

Finally, I changed the coil....problem completely fixed!

The old coil was Lucas, and firmly attached to the engine, the wiring to the coil was all solid & the HT lead solidly attached. - this problem wasn't the coil or something nearby physically moving about, it was internal to the coil.

I am convinced that the problem was inside the coil...the oil slopping about maybe....

I had this problem for a year or so, and couldnt fix it despite numerous tweaks. I changed out the coil and just did 1000km without missing a beat.

Great news Dave.

As you know, I was having a similar problem late last year, so went through changing HT leads, rotor arm, dizzy cap and coil. I'm no longer getting the problem either, but because it was only intermittent for me (going over bumps usually) I wasn't sure what had made the difference. Could well have been the coil for me too, by the sound of it.

Darren

All,

Anybody experience this type of issue?

The TR4A goes fine, I can run long distances (500km), accelerate fine, good power, smooth idle & running.....but if I make a sharp right turn I loose all power until the car straightens-up or until I'm almost stationary. Then the car runs fine & continues like normal...

It's not a slow loss of power like I would imagine fuel starvation to be, it's pretty instant making me think its electrical... i replaced the last 3 feet of the white ignition wire going to the coil thinking that this piece of wire sees a lot of movement and could have failed internally..that didnt help.

Many years ago I had an series of full loss of electrics (going straight!) which turned out to be the foot-dip-switch shorting to earth... thats ok this time...

any other thoughts on things that go splutter in the right?

Could you observe the headlight: are they also going dark in a sharp right bend? Then it is the general supply of 12V.

Check the ground cable going from the battery to the engine block. Is it ok?

(I had a car where the connection between chassis and engine was only made by the exhaust pipe....)