External Body Spraying

Hi all

Will be approaching the point in the next few months where I will want to get my TR6 resprayed. Extent of the working will be to all external panels, will probably require some sanding, isolating coats primer and top coats, but have n't a clue what the cost of spraying is these days. I appreciate theres a lot of variables here, but what sort of price range is an external respay these days and has anyone got any recommendation for spray shops in the North West

all comments welcome

cheers

I was quoted £2,500.00 if I delivered it with the body stripped of all it's external attachments with no metal repairs needed. Price was to strip it to bare metal, prime & paint.

Hi

It's as long as a piece of string really. It will depend on what standard of finish you go for, i.e does the paintshop spend hours getting all of the ripples and dents out of your panels, or are you content with an 'average' job.

If you want concours standard then a lot of stopping and blocking will be required. Then it depends what paint you go for. I had a Mk1 Mini finished in 2k last year and it looks about as close to the original as you can get, but don't consider cellulose. Most cars were not finished in cellulose in the '60' despite what many think, and tended to be more acrylic paints.

It's going to be 2- 3 grand for a good job, but best to get prices on a high quality job, and then a cheaper option.

Herc-let

Whilst prices will vary, I recently had some panel work done on my 6.

I enquired about a full, bare metal respray and was given £4.2k (+VAT) as a price

This included rubbing down smoothing each panel and then doing the multi coat respray

They would have wanted the car for between 5 and 8 working days

I was extremely happy with the bodywork repairs Kraftwork did for me and would trust them to do the full body, if I need to get it done.

I wouldnot use anyone else for panelwork.

Hope this helps

John

Herc-let

Whilst prices will vary, I recently had some panel work done on my 6.

I enquired about a full, bare metal respray and was given £4.2k (+VAT) as a price

This included rubbing down smoothing each panel and then doing the multi coat respray

They would have wanted the car for between 5 and 8 working days

I was extremely happy with the bodywork repairs Kraftwork did for me and would trust them to do the full body, if I need to get it done.

I wouldnot use anyone else for panelwork.

Hope this helps

John

Edited by wjgco

hi my respray£4500.!!!! from bare metal and painted top bottom inside and out . wings etc sprayed off car.

If you want to save money but still get a quality job do as much of the prep yourself, stripping cleaning removal of trim etc all save time which is money at top rates.

If you're feeling a bit more adventurous get a spray gun and do the priming as well, then deliver it to the sprayer so all he needs to do is a bit of final prep and get the colour on, then take it all home and put it back together.

Time is money and there's no reduced rates for taking it all to bits and putting it back together again.

Have fun!

Graham

I agree with Graham that time is money. I was charged £35 per hour, and I did save a lot of time/ money removing trim, door seals, locks, badges, beadings etc.

But personally I wouldn't go as far as priming yourself. All good paint sprayers will want to prime the car with their own primer,and their spray equipment, compressor etc has water traps and filters which will prevent dirt and dust contaminating the primer. Your compressor will blast a load of moisture into the gun from the open atmosphere, and spraying inside your workshop is likely to kick up all kinds of shite and it will end up having to be rubbed down again, actually adding to your costs!

You would be best advised to leave sealing, final sanding, blocking and painting to the professionals.

Regards

Kevin

cheers for all the comments

The car is stripped of all external fittings and the majority of the panels whilst aligned are not fully secured with all the bolts etc, so this should reduce the none painting labour element.

Having sais rthat though I get the feeling the cost will still be around the £2 to £3k mark. Better get saving

It is not just the cost of labour in a respray - the paint: etch primers, primers, base coat and/or lacquer (if using that route) is very expensive.

I visited a very upmarket car dealership and bodyshop about 3 months ago - a guy had purchased a red Ferrari Dino 1972 - the car was mint and had received a full restoration about 3 years ago (and won awards). However the new owner (more money than sense you might say?) whated a colour change to Ferrari met blue.

To have this car stripped and painted......£23k

To have the leather trim and carpets changed to match the new outside colour....on top of that...

I spoke to the manager and they had estimated £4 - 5k for the paint alone.

Now admitted this was not your average respray - but demo's how money can be spent. :huh:

If preparing a car yourself - budget about £2.5 - £3k for a quality job B)

If you DIY at all I get my materials from www.paints4u.com went there as the supplier I used to use has closed since I last did any spraying 15 years ago, use cellulose which they do supply. May get an air fed mask sooner than just charcoal filters next time as had to stop at one point as my eyes were watering that much... Only other prob was cutting back, I start with flour paper and soap to stop it clogging, picked up something from the Kitchen that smelt nice, but.... carbolic soap has grit in it! 8( It looks fine to me now anyhow, although my standards are probably quite low, and this is in a dirty garage with a basic gun.