Headlights clicking problem.

Hi,i wonder if anyone could give me some advice on a headlight problem i have.The headlights work ok on my TR7,(1977 model),in the respect that they raise and stay lit,however there is an intermittent problem whereby there is a clicking at the relay,and this results in the headlight blinking,and sometimes the whole headlight pod moving a few centimetres every click.I bought a new relay for the headlights and it still done it.I then tried disconnecting the black plugs just behind the lights under the bonnet,gave them a clean and put them back in again,it was then better for a short while but started doing it again.I then disconnected the plugs and sprayed them with electrical contact spray,and again it was better for a while,but it started happening again.One day it was so bad,it was clicking furiously,then the left headlight stayed up when it should've went down,and when i flashed someone it was popping up and down.I sprayed it again,and for a while it was better,but it keeps happening.Sometimes it's ok until i indicate,and that brings it on,and sometimes,bizzarely,it's when i brake,although i've no idea if the brakes and headlights are liked in some way.Can anyone help please.Thanks,Kenny.

Hi Kenny,

Ah the age old wedge headlight problems!

If you do a search on any of the websites it is a very common issue.

Firstly you have started on the right track - but carry on clean all the plugs (Red ones in particular)behind the headlights in the bonnet area, good & clean and then cover them with WD 40 for starters.

Then start on the earth points - where the black wires are bolted to the body (in the same area as above) a really good clean and put it back with some Vaseline or similar.

Then clean up the master light switch on the dashboard, its not difficult to get it out ( worth having a spare one as these are known to play up Triumph put all the amps through the thing which is not good!)

This will cover a great deal of the cars sins and hopefully will do the trick.

And the obvious statement - do not try doing anything the headlight mechanisms with the power attached - they will run and not stop until they have your fingers for breakfast!!!!!!!

Kenny, Good advice there from Ian, it will be an earth problem.

The headlight motor run/stop action is controlled through a limit switch in the headlight motor but the relays (one for each side) in the fuse box area are the more likely culprit for you I think - the relays start & stop the pod motors. Check/clean the earths for these, as well as the earths in the engine bay behind the each pod.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had a similar problem with only the near side light! It was a lot slower than the offside one until it stopped popping up. This wasn't a switch problem or ground issue. It was the red plug in the engine bay, I did make a note of the wiring from the workhop manual as the headlight didn't come either. The red plug (cleaned) sorted the headlight out and I had switched over the running relays in glove box etc and the fault never came back?? It is still slower but only raises >0.5 sec slower! imo. Possible corroded connection on relay tab?? It didn't look too bad though.

The speed I guess is down to the motors' electrical properties.. They can't all have been matched to the cars for perfect symmetry eh!

Edited by clymout