Heater Control Valves

Mid last year I fitted a new heater control valve, along with a full set of replacement coolant and heater hoses. The old valve was ok, but the replacement was cheap, and I foolishly thought that I might be doing a preventative maintenance exercise by replacing the old one.

It failed two weeks ago, squirting coolant out through the bell-shaped top section.

I took it back to the vendor, who was really good and gave me a no-charge replacement. I fitted this on 19 January this year.

Today, that replacement valve failed, squirting coolant out through the top. Again.

I believe that these valves are ex-Moss Europe, but they're all I can get locally here in Melbourne (Oz). Since they're ****, I'm looking for an alternative.

Has anyone a recommendation of an alternate valve I can use? I don't care about originality, I need function; particularly of the coolant system!

thanks,

JFerg

Hi JFerg,

I replaced my cr*p heater valve with one from a 60's AMC. It is a common mod in North America.

Not cheap but it works very well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HEATER-SHUT-OFF-VALVE-CONTROL-VALVE-58-65-AMC-70-72-GREMLIN-HORNET-H1930-4648-/261327007107

Cheers

Graeme

If you search the forum there are loads of posts on this. There is also a product available from one of the suppliers which has a complete kit. WRT the cable, I formed a circle at the end of the solid inner cable that slips over the peg on the replacement valve.

Edited by peejay4A

Hi J,

the valve shown by Graeme fits a treat and is featherlight to operate.

They are made/sold by these people http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Everco-Heater-Control-Valve/_/N-91sh0?itemIdentifier=135681&_requestid=7124741

TR Revington does something similar but is an in-line jobby that is suspended by its rubber hose on both ends - but works well.

I made my own from a washing machine service valve - obviously far superior to the above :wacko:

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Hi J,

the valve shown by Graeme fits a treat and is featherlight to operate.

They are made/sold by these people http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Everco-Heater-Control-Valve/_/N-91sh0?itemIdentifier=135681&_requestid=7124741

TR Revington does something similar but is an in-line jobby that is suspended by its rubber hose on both ends - but works well.

I made my own from a washing machine service valve - obviously far superior to the above :wacko:

Hi Roger,

Looked this up, checked the fitment box & it comes up that the valve does not fit a TR4!

Cheers,

Monty.

Roger

Just purchased one of these valves from Stuart.

How did you connect the heater cable Graeme ?.

Mark

Mark,

I used the same method as Pete, just a loop of heater cable around the pin.

Hi J,

Roger

Roger,

Are you going to market these, sound cheaper than the Everco valve. :D

Cheers

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

I enjoy tinkering and making my version of things. However I must concede that the Everco valve is a tad neater than mine.

I intend making a simpler neater version come the Spring.

Could the valve become part of the bulkhead twin pipe adaptor !!! :ph34r:

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Brilliant response, many thanks.

Currently have two old valves apart and new diaphragm made from neoprene, to go with a new home-made plunger......but I'll scrap all that now for a new one that will actually work properly.

JFerg

Hello All

How about one of these and go high tech? even has a filter to stop heater getting blocked! it is only on or off but never really found the need for much in between.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271757842403?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Hello Roger

Its because they have all the western worlds polution so we are GREEN? well in mind.

Roger

Ordered my new heater control valve from Automotive Part Sales in California yesterday morning. This morning I have the invoice, despatch confirmation, and tracking number, plus a personalised email advising of same and thanking me.

Can't expect a lot more than that. Very good service.

Including postage to Oz, U$48.33. Great value.

Thanks again, brains trust.

JFerg

Hello JFerg

What Moto Guzzi do you run? I now run a 750 Breva but my first one was a 750 Targa then i went on to an 1100 sport(carbs) loved that bike but it was a brute and took no prisoners! if you got it dialed in it was a wonderfull but if you chickened out on the corner it was a hard mistress not this easy peessy jap handling? you had to set it up and not think of touching the front brake once committed(which i should have been!) plus it is Italian do we need to say more?

Roger

ps the old Velocette 1938 MSS is a bit easier to ride but handles as a race breed machine should(must get the KSS going again as that engine is so smooth and a 350cc will give you 70 to 80 mph all day(if you can stand the rigid back end)

Ahhh, Roger, I have a Guzzi problem.

Main ride is a much-modified Mk II Le Mans, but I have a box-stock Le Mans II (black and gold) in reserve. And a Le mans III powered Triking. And an Airone Sport, although it's a non-runner. Had a half share in an 1100i Cali in the Uk for years, but sold that late last year. Also have a '38 Panther outfit, a '34 New Imperial and a 1924 Barr and Stroud engined bitzer on the road. Then there are a few Imps as reserve projects...... Plus a harley, but the only one to admit to; a 350SS Aermacchi with Harley-D on the tank badges. If only I could have everything running happily, simultaneously, I might be able to progress the projects, but that's not to be. TR4A is my sensible car.

JFerg

Edited by JFerg

Hello JFerg

Now I feel sensible as I only have 3 Velocettes 1938 MSS 1938 KSS and a 1964 Viper(venomised) plus the Moto Guzzi

But I do have 1954 TR2(in small pieces) 1968 2lt Vitesse, 1981 1500 Spitfire and a 1968 Morris Traveller plus all the usual spares(junk)collected over time

Plus we play at off grid living so 2 lister generators 4.5kw and 3.5kw 1958 and 1976. 2 wind turbines and about 1.5kw of PV panels and a 1100 amp/hr battery bank

Roger

ps just remembered a BSA wing wheel under the bench(no bicycle)

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered my new valve on from Automotive Part Sales in California on 1 February.

It arrived here in Melbourne, Oz, today, the 12th. Pretty happy with that.

Fitted it in 20 minutes. Pretty happy with that, too.

And, as everyone said it would, it works a treat with a much lighter action.

Thanks again for the great access to the collected wisdom and experience.

JFerg

Hi Tim,

I got mine from Lordco here in BC, but NAPA should be able to provide one.

It was a stock item in the warehouse and didn't seem to be a problem.

Cheers

Graeme

• 2 months later...

Mark,

I used the same method as Pete, just a loop of heater cable around the pin.

Roger,

Are you going to market these, sound cheaper than the Everco valve. :D

Cheers

Graeme

Original heater cable snapped were it was clamped in heater valve , so not long enough to loop round new valve.

So came up with this idea and works really well , silver soldered a electrical fitting to end of cable.