Karmann TR4A

In the March issue of Practical Classics which dropped through my letterbox yesterday is an excellent article on the restoration of Mike Hazlewoods TR4A.

Very interesting and congratulations to all who produced the article, and especially to Mike for all the hard work it must have taken to do the restoration..

Rex Wyer

The car was on the TR Register's stand at the Classic Car Show at the NEC in November - very interesting, and a unique TR.

But how is it that on 17th January Rex receives, by post, the March issue of Practical Classics - the publishing world is completely bonkers!

Ian Cornish

Car Show at the NEC in November - very interesting, and a unique TR.

But how is it that on 17th January Rex receives, by post, the March issue

of Practical Classics - the publishing world is completely bonkers!

Ian Cornish

Makes me wonder how many shopping days to Christmas.

AlanR

The car was on the TR Register's stand at the Classic Car Show at the NEC in November - very interesting, and a unique TR.

But how is it that on 17th January Rex receives, by post, the March issue of Practical Classics - the publishing world is completely bonkers!

Ian Cornish

Hi Ian, I have had Practical Classics and Classic & Sports Car mags for some time now and pay by DD twice yearly. They are both delivered about 6 weeks before the published date.

Its a pity that the Lottery results for the following week are not included, or I would have a stable of TR5's in the garage :):)

Regards Rex

Hi Ian,

Still waiting for your email. Maybe something to do with ship to shore. Hopefully you didn't use one of my old addresses, in particular the TR Register one which I stopped using a while as I was getting circa 20 emails a day from Chinese traders offering me starter motors, alternators, and the like. I will check again later.

cheers

Derek

Thank you for the kind words about the feature on Mike's 4A, I'm pleased to know you enjoyed it. I wrote the piece and the stunning photos were taken by award-winning photographer Matt Howell. Mike was a great subject for the magazine, always helpful, patient and quick with the kettle during our photo shoot. This was my first big feature for Practical Classics, so it was a very pleasant surprise to find Mike's TR centre of the front cover!

The magazine will be out on the newsagents' shelves next week, subscribers probably get it a little earlier by post. If you can't get to the newsagent but have an Android tablet, it should be available on Google Newsstand and I think there's an iPad version too.

As for calling the issue published late January "March", there's a reason. It goes something like this... If the issue on the shelves in February was called the "February issue", by half way through the month prospective purchasers would look at it and think "the March issue will be out soon so I'm going to wait for that". Sales would fall as a result. Of course if sales fell, the cost of producing each copy would rise so the price would go up. It's just marketing psychology and all the magazines do it, none can afford to be left out.

Nigel

As for calling the issue published late January "March", there's a reason. It goes something like this... If the issue on the shelves in February was called the "February issue", by half way through the month prospective purchasers would look at it and think "the March issue will be out soon so I'm going to wait for that". Sales would fall as a result. Of course if sales fell, the cost of producing each copy would rise so the price would go up. It's just marketing psychology and all the magazines do it, none can afford to be left out.

Nigel

Gone are the days when Motor Sport magazine, controlled by it's idiosyncratic owner Wesley Tee and Editor Bill Boddy, was only available on the shelves on the first working day of any respective month. If the 1st of the month was a Sunday it came out on Monday the 2nd without exception.

Dave McD

Menno,

scan of the front cover showing Mike and TR from the March Practical Classics follows

cheers

Derek

img035_zpsegdj8qyn-1.jpg

Very nice to see ! special car too.

You have some interesting photos on your Photobucket, esp the police tr4's.

I took the liberty to paste the links in the tr4 police car topic.

Gone are the days when Motor Sport magazine, controlled by it's idiosyncratic owner Wesley Tee and Editor Bill Boddy, was only available on the shelves on the first working day of any respective month. If the 1st of the month was a Sunday it came out on Monday the 2nd without exception.

Dave McD

Yeah, those were the days ! It always seems pretty stupid with them wishing everyone a happy Christmas in October !

I always assumed that the mags. were trying to get the jump on each other by being the first on the news-stands, I'm pretty sure that when Classic Cars began and had the field to itself this wasn't the case. Before then, Motor Sport and Exchange & Mart were really the only source of ads for interesting cars, other than the odd Bugatti or Hispano in Autocar.