Evening all,

I've just had my Tachometer converted from mechanical to electronic and removed the cable.

I will, in the new year change the dizzy for a 123, in the meantime should I be covering the exposed dizzy tacho take off and if so with what?

As an aside the new tacho reads a nice smooth idle RPM and not jumping like the cable so very happy at the moment.

Plus....I've also changed my dash for a very smart walnut burr but I'm still left with the problem of opening the glovebox, no amount of adjustment will allow me to just press the lock in and watch it open, every time it's a finger nail job to open it. A finger pull is a non starter...I'm not about to dremmel a new dash.

Thinking a bit left field I'm tempted to attach some thin ribbon or similar and let it hang through the gap to give me a pull point...

any other good ideas very welcome...

Seasons greetings,

I was going to attach a picture of said glovebox or dizzy but you all know what they look like so I have attached a picture of our resident Little Egret instead. We have a stream running alongside our garden so he comes along for breakfast...

Jim

Jim

A dremil would be serious overkill, a very small amount of fettling with a fine file, (it took me about 30 minutes) and the fingerpull looks as if it is meant to be there.

The best little job so far

John

Edited by wjgco

Hi Jim,

I've been thinking about the tacho mod for ages. Who did your conversion.

Roger

John Ostrict of JDO did mine, after Speedy Cables took over a month to even answer my email. I am very pleased with the service, turned around in less than a week. Excellent instructions and works really well.

John Ostrict of JDO did mine, after Speedy Cables took over a month to even answer my email. I am very pleased with the service, turned around in less than a week. Excellent instructions and works really well.

+1

Use in the meantime a rubber piece of hose,bolt and clips.

Hi Jim

What was the charge ? I had mine reconditioned by the Gauge shop but it still jumps about.

Cheers mark

I paid £137.95 including the P&P, if I remember correctly posted to him on a Monday and it was back in the car on the Friday. One wire to coil, one to ignition feed and a good earth, that's simple even for me.

!I've wound a spring into the bracket that holds the arm for the cubby box.Its strong enough to push the door open when the button is pressed , had the same problem as you, 20p spring and no change to anything, just wound the spring onto bracket.

+1 for JDO, great service from John. The Rev counter works well, very smooth with no jumping. Some posts indicated that the needle may jump but the posts are old and it is not the case now.

Peter

!I've wound a spring into the bracket that holds the arm for the cubby box.Its strong enough to push the door open when the button is pressed , had the same problem as you, 20p spring and no change to anything, just wound the spring onto bracket.

Now that is a good idea. I've been using a bit of springy rubber glued next to the catch. I'll be using a spring asap.

Ah that sounds neat, don't suppose you could post a picture please.

Thanks

Jim, yep can do pm me your mail address as that easiest. May take a day or so to get pic , Xmas panics .......

An Engineer peering at my motor once commented..."A Mechanical Rev Counter driven by a cable off the Distributor was the most accurate, and the most accurate way to calculate your True road speed"

The finger pull is the logical answer, but I paid a lot of money and spent a lot of time putting my new dash, I'm really not inclined to take a file to it...

What I can't work out is why the finger pull was deleted and how without it did you open the glovebox when it was new...was it just the spring pressure on the light plunger...

Regarding the exposed unused drive outlet - go to a hydraulic pipe supplier (plant machinery etc) - they will have all sizes of blanks in various colours.

However if it was me I would spin up a nice cap on my lathe. Metal spinning can give a very good fit.

Roger

Regarding the exposed unused drive outlet - go to a hydraulic pipe supplier (plant machinery etc) - they will have all sizes of blanks in various colours.

However if it was me I would spin up a nice cap on my lathe. Metal spinning can give a very good fit.

Roger

How's there's an offer for Christmas, thanks Roger...how much do you want for P&P :-)