5 minutes to change a rear hub

Hi Folks,

now I have your attention. 5 minutes would be some sort of record and one that I clearly didn't get near.

Yesterday my rear near side hub was making some rather strange groaning noises whenever power was being applied.

Today I jacked the wheel up and there was a small amount of play when holding the tyre at 12&6-o-clock.

So off with the old hub and fit my spare. I haven't overhauled the pair of hubs that I got off Steve a few months ago so I was going to fit my long term spare.

With the removed hub in the vice the bearings felt as smooth as a mildly fuzzy peach and I couldn't feel any play.

Anyway I went to fit my spare but realised it hadn't got any studs in it, so chose not to fit it.

So I decided to fit one of the recently acquired ones.

All went well in the fitting. Is there an easy way of fitting the nut for the handbrake cable lug :wacko:

Now for the novelty.

I fitted the wheel and was impressed by the amount of thread I had on the studs - I have minilite type wheels with coned nuts.

I then relaised I hadn't fitted the 6mm spacer :o I then realised I hadn't actually fitted the brake drum :o:o ooops!!

No problem. On with the drum, on with the spacer - I now have almost no threads exposed. :wacko:

Of course my wheels need long studs. The standard stud is apprx 40mm long The ones on the old hub are 50mm.

Moss and TRShop do not have these longer studs. This may be why I made my own studs when I originally fitted these wheels.

So now out with the standard studs and fit my homebrew studs.

My next problem is that the centre hole in the Alfins was very very tight on the new hub. A little bit of cleaning and fettling did the job.

The studs pulled in nicely when the wheel was finally tightened.

The test drive revealed that the nasty noises of yesterday were now just a memory :)

How can a 5 minute job take three or four hours.

Roger

Ex BEA?. If you managed to do jobs on the 'ground gripper' or change a CASC unit on a 1-11. A five minute hub change is perfectly feasible on an old Triumph......you must be slipping!! :-)

Edited by daven

Glad my old hubs came in handy Roger!

I might ask for a borrow of your stud jig in the new year to helicoil a couple of slightly suspect hub studs.

Steve

Good job, Roger. Sounds kinda speedy to me. Those kinds of jobs take me days at least, if not weeks, to complete leisurely. They're kind of therapeutic -- sort of like enjoying working in the garden as much as eating the vegetables.