Thoughts on couple of 4/4a's for sale

Thanks gents....

I am on the case, and will be viewing as soon as I'm back from my hols - unless it has been snapped up in the meantime!

Cheers, Andy

Hi Andy,

It does have the overall look of a very nice car, however the devil is in the detail as they say..........!!!!

Too few photos and all the photos are too small in resolution thus it is not possible to make a valid judgement of detail or quality of the car.

As ever any car has to be viewed in person and if possibly by experienced eyes, unless you know enough about the marque to go it alone?

Some basic items are plain to view :

Fitted with non-original steering wheel.

I cannot see either of the front overider stays - these pass through the grill and bolt to the inner wings to firmly locate the overiders in a vertical position. Without them fitted the top of the overiders can lean backwards and foul the nose of the bonnet when opened.

I cannot see that a radiator mills board duct is fitted.

It has the earlier type radiator fitted - being a 1964 car it should have a plain flat radiator without the extended filler neck.

The sun visors were always a white material, however these could have been re-painted black. Visually the set up just looks rather odd and about to fall off the frame or maybe it is just the way they are set for the photo?

Difficult to be sure, but the inside top right of the windscreen frame seems to have the chrome bracket which is required for a TR4A type hood?

Might be my eyes or the poor photo, but in the engine bay the front wing fixings look to be on the large size, possibly non-standard?

Regards, Richard

In addition to the above mentioned (Richard it looks like they have used rear wing fixing bolts for the front wings and definitely a 4a hood) the fuel line should be a solid pipe and it may have a later r/hand front inner wheel arch. Your right that the devil is in the detail as small things like that point to restored by someone who doesnt know the cars which can mean other possibly expensive mistakes. On a cheap car then OK sort it after but on high value cars then no.

I do know of one TR that looks very nice on top but has no main floor body mounts!

Always take someone with you who knows the cars and listen to what they say!

Stuart.

Hi All,

Sorry Andy, not looking to hijack your thread, but I'm in a similar situation, been looking for a little while now. The one you've been discussing in the last few posts has 3 viewings planned for today apparently, so I hope it's still available for you to look at after your hols.

It all seems a bit of a minefield, unless like you guys, you have been around these cars for a while and know what to look for. You chaps certainly seem to know your onions.

The darker external colours appeal to me more. I don't really have the time for a 'project', but would be happy to maintain and refurbish when necessary.

Has anyone got any views on this one please...

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C561516#

It's a bit pricier, but has the Surrey top already. Not too keen on the red interior but I'm sure I could live with that if it looks to be a good prospect.

I think it's been advertised previously and didn't sell which makes me wonder if it's ok or just overpriced.

Any comments / advice gratefully received.

Steve

Hi all,

I had some additional photographs through front he seller, Higher resolution than the ones in the ad, car does have OD and a 4a roof fitted (this is a mod I that does not put me off).

I wasn't aware of the sun visor differences, but had noticed the earlier radiator in place. It has had some restoration carried out 3 years ago.

Thanks Richard & Stuart for taking the time to reply with your good advice, although from Steve's comment it is likely to be sold by the time I am back home.

Cheers, Andy

As said above, its all about the detail, if the restorer doesn't get the visible detail correct, what about the invisible detail??

BTW the wiper arms are in the incorrect position.

Graeme

Edited by graeme

@ Craeme

+1

make a list with the incorrect or parts and make than an offer.

quality is in the detail,(as Richard said) and that is what it makes a real TR4.

Not a TR4 with some parts of a TR4a or 6, there must be a reason for that........

Marcel.

Edited by Quicksilver

Thanks Paul,

I saw this one via another thread, but reserve not met at £23k, plus shipping & 5%, it will end up too rich for me. I'm sure someone will enjoy it though.

Cheers, Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Couple of quick questions:

while looking at a TR4 on eBay; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191475799222 i noticed that the dash had been painted red - i hadn't noticed this on any other cars - is this finish common, or simply someones choice of personalisation?

second question relates to overdrive..... i am keen on having OD, but have seen one that is pretty good in all areas, except one...... no OD. What kind of MPH/1000rpm does a TR4 run with standard diff ratios? For those running non-OD cars does a long journey get tiresome without it?

Thanks in advance, Andy

Hi Andy,

You really do need an o/d, so far as I remember (25years since I had one) TR4s are the same as sidescreens for gearing. Direct top approx 20mph/1000rpm and o/d approx 25mph/1000rpm. If it's a good car at a good enough price you could always add one.

Mine had a white painted dash, never seen any other colours apart from the later wood ones.

Mike

The dash should be white on that car.

It also has TR4A seats fitted which is not a major issue but not original to the car...

Scabby around the clutch and brake master cylinder means its leaking or leaked before.......

Inside the boot should not be carpeted.....this is normally hiding something!!

I wouldn't buy it.........and I look at these things all the time for myself and my customers.....

Things only sont sell because of 2 things normally - poor condition or overpriced, or in some cases both!!

But what do I know..... :ph34r:

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply and confirmation..... I thought I'd probably be much better off with OD rather than without - I added OD boxes to my previous Herald & Spitfires so that is a well-trodden path!

White or wood was what I'd expected, was a bit surprised by the red - glad I'm not going mad (yet!)

All the best....... Andy

Hi Mark,

Thanks for overall thoughts on the red 4.... I thought the brake m/c area looked like it had seen some spillage but didn't realise the boot wouldn't normally be carpeted.

I wasn't overly-interested in it based on some slightly iffy bits, but the dash raised the question in my mind!

Cheers, Andy

Hi Andy,

I do not wish to always appear to be the bearer of bad news, but............!!!!!!!!

The car you are looking at again appear reasonable in the photos, but does had things that stand out as being odd or not quite right :

1 - Why are wiper blades stopped in middle of screen?

2 - No overrider stays to front or rear bumpers.

3 - Rear bumper looks to have bumps and bends in the middle section.

4 - Windscreen rubber to bulkhead is not sitting evenly / correctly over centre section?

5 - Non original petrol filler cap - looks like replacement lockable cap.

6 - Non original interior rear view mirror.

7 - Paint ove- spray to ends of chassis at rear?

8 - I think that the body of the car is either sitting down at the front or up at the rear?

9 - Fitted with TR4A type seats.

10 - Passenger side B post is missing the door restraint catch - the two spare holes.

11 - The door aperture edges where the furflex fits, all looks real rough - part paint, part rust?

12 - Dash panel should be painted white or the later cars had wooden panels.

13 - Silver panel for the smaller four instruments were only fitted to the very early cars.

14 - Dash top has an odd black button type fixing at centre?

15 - Passenger grab handle on dash appears to have been poorly reapired?

16 - Under bonnet, bonnet catch plate looks like bottom fixing bolts is missing?

17 - Bad leakage around both master cylinders.

18 - Early TR type cylinder head fitted with log inlet manifold and H6 carbs

18 - Later non-header tank radiator fitted - plus leak from top hose - no radiator support stays fitted?

20 - No front upper valance stays fitted - i.e. valance to inner wings.

21 - Only one horn to be seen?

22 - Offside inner wing, top edge looks ragged? remains of past rust problems? also area around bonnet hinge not smooth, possible accident damage?

23 - Rev counter cable must be the longest in Britain, goes all round the houses and then to the dash.

24.- Non standard washer bottle, would originally be fitted to nearside inner wing.

25 - Boot board over spare wheel is missing.

Seeing the car in the flesh may outshine some or all of the above items and some things may seem irrelevant to some people.

Take help when going to check out cars.

Regards, Richard

Hi Richard,

Many thanks for taking the time to highlight these points, i certainly didn't spot them all, but enough to realise it wasn't going to be the one for me.

All these pointers from people are invaluable!

cheers, Andy