TR4 Gear Selection

Hi Roger

Well the box as far as I know is still original (with a mileage of around 97k). When I restored the car I thought if it ain't broke don't fix it. It does go in okay without a crunch, but the lever is a bit clunky between gears, so not having driven another 4A, wondered if this was normal? ( the driver ain't that's for sure)!

With regard to oil changes, as opposed to top ups, about the same as my bath intervals - every 18 months or so whether needed or not lol :)

Any thoughts?

Regards

Kev

Although the TR4 has the advantage of synchromesh on first, I have never found the box to be as slick between gears as were either of my old TR2s.

Wwhereas in the TR2s I could move from 2nd to 3rd with a diagonal swipe of the gearlever, the TR4 seems very 'notchy', so I have to move the lever out of 2nd, move to the right, then push the lever forward - a much slower operation.

Ian Cornish

The later all synchro boxes from the 4 on are always a lot more "notchy" than the early 3 synchro boxes, its just a trait of the re-design of the box.

Stuart.