Erratic - but constant - ticking noise in dash. End of speedo?

If my memory serves me correct (it has happened once before) the noise that I have recently started hearing - a constant but erratic ticking noise behind the dash in front of me that only happens when the car is moving - may spell the end of my speedometer. or at least the cable.

Can anyone confirm this? Is it too late to do anything about it? (maybe it's the rpm, but seems more likely the speedo)

Otherwise, what is it?

Hi Ron,

I don;t think it is about to snap but things are not happy.

Have you tried aligning the cable better?

The end of the square drive may be worn - or even on the short side. So a new cable may be required.

TRy the lubrication first and see how things go.

Roger

Art of TR Coarse Engineering fix number 127

"When you suspect a regular ticking noise from behind the dash is caused by the speedometer cable, if correct it is often because an odd strand of inner cable has snapped and is catching the outer. If the car is put in reverse and you travel at a reasonable velocity backwards for a distance of say 50 or 80 yards sometimes a cure can be affected by the turning of the inner cable in the opposite direction smoothing the snapped strand down and removing it's interference with the outer cable. It's worth a try !

Mick Richards

The risk is that this will jam and then you will have a broken right-angled drive.

Whilst repairing the angled-drives I found out that the squared ends of the cables are only just large enough

to "lock" into the square sockets.

This is beacuse the square sockets are not square at all. They were made by squeezing in four places to produce

a kind of "bubble" in four places. There really isn't much contact area.

I may need a new cable - I think I replaced the last one in the 1980's so maybe it's due. But I will try lubrication first. By the way, does anyone think it could be the tachometer vs the speedo?

Ron ~

Try the lubrication first. This always worked when drivers complained about the ticking noise.

If it doesn't work then disconnect one instrument and test drive the car.

If the noise is still there then disconnect the other instrument and test drive.

Tom.

Hi Ron,

when the speedo cable is removed start the engine and see if the noise has disappeared. If it has then it's the speedo. If still present it is the tacho (often is).

Hi Alan,

not only can the square end of the cable be too small but also too short - and it only grips the end of the hole.

The holes are also prone to damage and can widen.

Roger

Thanks Tom - sorry, have been traveling. The noise is really on movement only - not still. My garage thinks it may also be a "crimp" in the cable. Either way, I have a one day window to get the car over to them before Christmas - or it's the new year.

I'll post the results as soon as I figure it out! Thanks for all the suggestions

• 1 month later...

Sorry it has taken me so long to come back. The ticking was actually in the rpm cable, not the speedo. The garage removed it, put some graphite on the end, and tweaked the cable position when securing. The noise is reduced (over 50%) but hasn't gone away. I found it interesting that just moving the cable while attached increased and decreased the noise. I think it is now a case of driving the car and reporting back after another few hundred to see if it's gone, same or worse!