TR4A Brake Drums won't fit

I've given my very old brakes a complete overhaul which includes new drums and shoes, but now I can't get the drums on over the new shoes.

The adjusters are backed off, in fact I replaced them thinking they might not be retracting, and there's no fluid in the cylinders. I've tried to get the shoes centred as best I can.

It looks like I'm only a fraction off and if I used a mallet I might get one on, but the wheels would be locked and I doubt it would come off again easily if I didn't line up the studs and holes correctly.

Is there something I could have got wrong, or should I try to shave off some of the pad lining ?

My project came without original drums so I can't try those to see if the new ones are a fraction too small.

Thanks, Mark

Mark,

Even with new shoes there should be plenty of clearance to the drums. You need to measure the new drums and compare that with a known good drum, should be 9" I think.

Both the adjuster and cylinder have slots, are the ends of the shoes sitting in the slots properly?

Cheers

Graeme

New drums - so there should be no ridge.

Have you got the old shoes? If so what is the difference in lining thickness between old and new.

If the new linings are considerably thicker then you could chance rubbing them down. But then they may not sit in the drum very well.

You could take the shoes off and fit them in the drum to see what sort of fit they have - possibly rub the high spots off the linings.

Roger

I used to have this problem quite regularly with Morris Minor brakes. I put it down to tolerances on aftermarket brake shoes. For the Morris, I would dress the heel of the shoe that fitted in the slot on the end of the cylinder casting with a hand file, and sometimes the slotted other end of the shoe that engaged in the worm cam adjuster. Sorted. Not sure about the TR assembly, but no doubt something similar. Make sure the shoes aren't fouling anywhere on the backplate. I wouldn't attempt to do anything with the linings.

Have fun,

Graham

If you can't find the space needed on the locations of shoes and adjusters to allow fitting of the new drums wash the old drums out with soapy water (to remove brake dust safely)and then grind the lip off on the outside edge of the drum.

Fit the old drums and drive for 6 months then remove and fit the new drums after the high spots have been removed from the shoes and linings, that gives you a chance it will fit.

Mick Richards

Hi

If it helps there are some reference pictures of my rear brake rebuild here under the heading rear brake rebuild a way down the page.

http://tr4a.weebly.com/suspension-and-chassis-rebuild--refurb.html

Best.

Paul.

Given that these are new drums, it's quite possibly a manufacturing error - possibly eccentricity or undersize intenal diameter. I would talk to the supplier before performing any modifications to the shoes or drums. Depending on where you live Mark, I have some spare drums, including one NOS unused that you could measure for comparison.

Thanks everyone, this confirms my suspicion that there's something wrong and it's not just a case of everything being new and tight tolerances. I'll have a good look tomorrow and measure up and see what's what.

My car came with only shoes but no linings and no drums, so difficult to reference against the new parts.

I'll come back this weekend with either good news or some photos.

BrianC I'm in a village near Saffron Walden in Essex.

For what it's worth I recently fitted a pair of Alfin aluminium rear brake drums to my TR3A.

At first I just couldn't get the drums over the OLD brake shoes!!! :(

I measured the internal diameter of the old and new drums and they were both 9".

I completely backed off the handbrake adjusters and still the new drums wouldn't fit!!!! :angry:

I 'tapped' the brake shoes to get them into a central position and Hey Presto! the new drums fitted perfectly!! :):)

Give it a try. :)

Tom. :):)

I think I found the problem. Everything seemed to be put together correctly when compared to Paul's site and other photos I could find, so I pulled it all apart and checked the shoes. As I had the original shoes, albeit with no lining, I was able to compare them and found the new ones are longer by at least an 1/8th maybe more. These looked ok in the catalogue but now I've checked I see these are a no name brand. I could file them back as Graham suggested but now my faith in these shoes is lost and I'll start again with a new better quality set.

Could anyone suggest which makes / supplier I should look at for quality parts that fit please .

Many thanks for all the help.

Mark

I'd go to moss or the TR shop London :-)

Best.

Paul.

Mintex m1144 shoes fit every time.

White box parts seem to be off quite regularly, so beware.

Regards

Tony

Hi Tony

Where can you get m1144 on shoes, I've not found them ?

Steve

You can get rear shoes relined with M20 which is the competition compound

Tom

Final update on this problem and a happy one.

I bought a new set of shoes, this time from the TR Shop, and they fitted perfectly and the drums went straight back on without any problems.

Many thanks for all the help I've received on this.

I'll be contacting the well known supplier I bought the originals from and let them know there was a problem.