TR7 - newbie

Hi,

Took the plunge at the NEC classic car show and joined the TR register.

I bought a FHC TR7 for classic events last year. It's no concours winner but it's solid enough.

Have been pleasantly surprised with it. It's been reliable, cheap to run and decent fun to drive on road and test based events.

Not exactly a fire breathing monster with a 2 litre four pot up front but for regularity sections that's not been a problem. On the tests it needs more oomph.

Also used it the local motorclubs autotests, three and three quarter turns lock to lock is hard work!

Currently upgrading it to SD1 V8 power with some upgrades to brakes, suspension and steering.

Uprated custom made springs, shocks and polybushes all in the upgrade spec.

Pity I missed the big gathering in Harrogate this year.

Can't wait to drive it with the V8 in.

Ray

• 1 month later...

The car is now up and running with a v8 in, this is a clip from the Local motorclub autotest on Sunday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THIBi5vfRag&feature=youtu.be

It's running very rich though, starting from cold in freezing temperatures with no choke, it's had tubular manifolds fitted, pipercross filters and facet fuel pump fitted since it was last run.

I think a session on a rolling road with an operator who knows their rover V8s and SUs to set it up properly is needed to get the best from it.

Bogg Brothers at East Lutton or Dennis Vessey at Barnetby seen possible candidates.

Ray

Hi Ray,

Welcome to the world of wedge ownership, lots of info on here but even more over here -

http://www.triumphtr7.com/

Click on the forum on the left hand side and join, I use both as do most TR7 owners.

Looking forward to seeing you out in your car next year,

Cheers John

Took a look at the site about and the links on the left don't seem to work, couldn't register for the forum?

Ray

Once you get that V8 in there, it doesn't matter how many turns lock to lock.

A little bit of lock, & a lot of throttle will get you around anything.

Hasbeen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...