Clarkey's at it again;-0

Well

I have decided to take the diff out for a refurb.It to be fair has been whining like a scalded cat for a few years now.

I have to admit it was easier than i thought it would be :rolleyes: , I know its only 4 bolts, they all came of easy enough, the hardest part was getting the exhaust rear pipes off.(Neil and Patch sorry I have undone your great work) :P

Now as the diff is out I will be replacing the drive shafts and hubs, also I have noticed the rubber bush on the n/s trailing arm need changing as its bollards :( .I guess this will be a different matter, is this a job that 1, i am capable of doing in my garage(no lift ramp) or 2, am i better having it done after I have done the rest and can get the car to a lift ramp.

Yours with Grown up words in reserve ;)

the car is on stands i haven't started on the drive shaft removal yet just removed the diff

Hi Clarkey,

drive shafts are easy to remove.

Once off the TA can be lowered and the spring taken out.

The back plate and brake pipe can be swung out of the way.

Remove the nuts from the TA bracket bolts and the TA pulls off.

The rubber bushes are fun to remove and replace be do'able - have you got a vice (not smoking or beer etc) this would make it easier.

If you have to replace them then consider the SuperPro poly bushes. I haven't a clue about performance but they are expensive and give you that warm smug feeling when talking to lesser TR owners. :P

if you go the SP route you will need to do both sides.

When the brackets are off, paint strip them and check for cracking vertically down the bolt hole line on the front and rear of each brkt.

Roger

I cant vouch for TA removal Clarkey, but can confirm that halfshafts and hubs are easy to remove.

Roger can vouch for me, he has my old shafts !

Steve

Martin

It is not that simple. You have my number ;)

Thanks Neil

Don't worry I will call before i touch anything ^_^

Just leave the Shocks alone :lol::lol::lol::lol: Good luck it should be easy once the old bushes are out.

Cheers

Mike. B)

I really can't imagine why you might say that Mike B)

Clarkey,

The diff, then the half shafts and hub, then the bushes......

I suspect rampant "Rebuilder Syndrome", where you start off to do a little job, which becomes a bigger one, which become a rebuild, and the weekend is only half done!

JOhn

LOL Hi John

This has been a job on the cards for a long while, i suppose as I'm stripping it down I may as well replace, so i have faith and know where I stand with the car :D

• 1 month later...

So Ive been playing in the garage again :blink:

so the drive shafts and hubs have been removed. I thought i would share the pics .

the uj's have usa on them and grease nipples,the drive shafts don't appear to have any wear on them, one of the hubs looks like it has a crack but having cleaned them up its just a bit of crud.

the hubs have been refurbished I just wondered if the drive shafts were uprated at all or just standard, didn't know if the serial numbers meant anything to anyone.