MOT due..Electrical Hiccup HELP!

If I sit on the drive and turn on the ignition...everything works..horn...headlights..indicators etc...but....if I depress the brake pedal then the indicators start to malfunction, they flash intermittently etc, I've cleaned everywhere in the rear light area and all works until I press the brake...sometimes the problem seems cured even whilst pressing the brake but start the engine and it all turns to sand yet again...The battery seems fine but could it just be load that is the problem.

Any help much appreciated

MOT on Friday...I postponed it from Thursday!

Regards

Brian

Brian

Remove the brake lamp from one side, then see if it still happens, if yes, put it back and try the other side, this should help narrow it down to a particular side, there may be a short within the lamp cluster.

Steve

Sounds like a bad earth to me too. Had similar happen to me a while ago.

Sounds like a bad earth to me too.

Worth running supplementary earth wires from each of the rear lights to the body - on my car there were spade connections available so nice and easy.

As Roger says check the bulbs, but also make sure the holders have good tight connection with the body of the lamps.

At the front of the car the earth bonds in the bonnet area behind the headlights are worth looking at as these will have impact on most things in that area.

Good luck

Cheers Ian

Hi Brian,

I'm the last one to be able to offer you any technical advice, but it sounds like the wiser heads on here have provided some good starting points. However, your issue did remind me of when I was a teenager. One of my work colleagues managed to get hold of the keys to the Austin 1100 that belonged to our boss, and once inside the car he rewired it in about 10 minutes so that every time the brake pedal was used the horn would sound. We watched with great delight as he headed off for lunch, horn sounding as he had to slow before leaving the firm's car park. Fortunately, he knew we had something to do with it and took it in good humour.

It just shows I suppose how easy wires can get crossed.

Hope it gets sorted before the MOT tomorrow.

Darren

Thanks for the help, I found the spade connectors as you advised and ran an earth from both to the fixed boot latch..worked a treat, MOT passed!

Now, if the Power steering hadn't blown its contents all over the road on the way home......?