TR2 TR3 oil cap

It's been a long time since I've posted here but I need some help finding a part. I just finished my restoration of my 56 TR3 so I'm going to enclose a few pictures of the car and the part needed. I restored the car to a concours standard and just found out I have the wrong oil cap on the car and can't find the correct one in the states. I hope somebody here has one they would be willing to sell. The cap is taller than the latter caps and has two vent holes on the side near the lip on the bottom. If you look close at the picture you can see one of the vent holes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Keith Davis

post-12330-0-47765500-1414794672_thumb.jpg

post-12330-0-45247800-1414794704_thumb.jpg

post-12330-0-02418800-1414794736_thumb.jpg

post-12330-0-26840300-1414794772_thumb.jpg

Beautiful car well done - put's mine to shame !

I nearly went for Winchester blue myself, but in the end went for a non - original (Austin) colour.

Can't help with the cap.

Bob.

Lovely job Keith. Amazed to see that you have the linkage between the carbs (below the chokes) connected correctly - it's the first time I've seen that in years. Most folk think - not unreasonably, that the brass lever goes inbetween the yolk, whereas it should sit behind just as yours does - well done!!

Lots of digital photos during the strip down makes getting the stuff back in the right place a lot easier than it used to be - especially if the rebuild takes years - six in my case - and pre-digital cameras unfortunately!

Phil.

Thank you Phil

It's hard to find the small detail information when restoring cars. This forum was a great help when I was doing my interior. I bought my car from someone who stopped their restoration on the car for 20 years. The car was a rolling shell when I got it, so I had no idea if anything was done correctly. My restoration took 7.5 years and counting. I still have to finish the hardtop.

As to digital cameras they are the best tools in restoring cars. When I did my TR6 I had to look thru all the photos I took of the car. That restoration only took 3 years, but I was the second owner of the car and I've had it for 37 years. Hear are a couple shots of that car. What a difference between the TR6 and the TR3. I drove both the other day and the TR6 felt like a modern car compared to the 3.

post-12330-0-41928500-1414896882_thumb.jpg

post-12330-0-09486400-1414897477_thumb.jpg

When I bought my 1958 TR3A brand new in May, 1958, (TS 27489 LO), a very early TR3A built on Feb 14th, 1958, it came with a cap identical to the one you show. However mine had a decal on the top central flat bit.

All TR3As which went to USA, had the other oil fill cap with the three "pinched in" areas for your fingers (I imagine). The TRA judges in USA used to tell me that my oil fill cap was not a part from S-T and I was always docked a point.

I also heard that the TRs shipped to and/or assembled in Australia had oil fill caps like mine. Why they would be "destination-specific" is beyond me.

More like stock item change Don as ST would often run out of stock and use whatever was available at the time.

Stuart.

This looks like the oil filler cap you are after, as fitted to an Australian assembled TR3 (supplementary ID plate above battery). It's original but repainted from black to pearl grey.

The brake booster, foam filters and radiator catch container are aftermarket.

post-4764-0-22759000-1415101065_thumb.jpg

Edited by vivdownunder

It's all too easy to get hung up on little details like the breather cap.

There seems to be a North American assumption that this or that component is absolutely correct for a particular car, and nothing else will possibly do.

Absolute cobblers, TRs were built in Coventry not Detroit, and what was fitted was what was conveniently to hand at the time. Overstocks in the spares department, component supplier labour relations problems, alternative suppliers for particular items, bargain job lot purchases, simple mistakes on the line . . . . . all manner of reasons for variations, and probably home market cars varied more than export.

We've all heard a thousand times that Don bought his car new in 1958, and what happened to be fitted to it is quoted like some extract from the Rosetta Stone. It's a TR for heaven's sake, it doubtless differed in detail from the one that preceded it down the line, and they both differed from the next TR along . . . . What happened to be fitted to Don's car is neither here nor there.

As for the USA concours judging rules, or whatever they're called. Strewth, give me strength. An article of faith, sacred text for anally retentive pedants even, but old Stan Part must be laughing in his grave at the well meaning nitpicking of our colonial chums.

If it's a breather cap and it ain't blocked, then it ain't broke . . . . . :D

Cheers

Alec

The 'high hat' oil filler cap was typical for earlier cars and was supposedly phased out in favor of the 'finger hole' type the late 3 early 3A range but one never knows if this was done in every instance. It's a pretty safe bet that Keith's car would have had the 'high hat' and he is smart to look for one when restoring to that level. Thing to remember is that the decal faces to the left side of the car and not to the front as was done in so many restorations in the past.

TRA guidelines are a little nebulous with oil caps but do cite a change at TS17327E if i recall without details. This is actually about the time you start seeing the finger hole cap over here but as a judge i wouldn't deduct for either up through the early 20000 range and likely not even then.

It's all arcana but fun - like the early Girling reservoir labels - people face them to the front and apply them to the top of the can rather than having them face to the right and apply them about 3/8" or so from the bottom. The strap covers much of the label but the important part - the BRAKE and CLUTCH markings on the bottom of the label are where they should be.

Many of us care a lot more about this stuff than S-T did; don't think our kids or grandkids will care a whit about makings on a Lexus. Then again, Corvette and GTO people always will. Jaguar people do also but their judges are more likely to deduct for fingerprints then markings. Only deduction on my 150 DHC in a JCNA show was a fingerprint left by a judge when opening a door that another discovered. That put an end to that B-S for me. In the end there is a toilet seat for very bum and some fit better than others. If people want to explore the details of these cars as an intellectual exercise it's no different than those who want to go fast. Fortunately or unfortunately our TRs are becoming expensive little devils and fewer and fewer are daily beaters. or disposable wrecks. Chewing gum and bailing wire is sort of ex post facto...

Curiously, I have an oil cap from a very early TR for my TS227LO that is identical to the 'high hat' with the exception that the bottom plate is attached by three small screws to allow removal of the gauze for cleaning. It had the remains of an identical transfer on the top that faced left. Anyone ever come across one of those? Love to use it but it seems a bit agricultural...

JW

Edited by jdwtrxk

Hi JW,

the breather/filler cap with detachable base plate was a relatively common fitment on British vehicles up to the mid-1950s, lower quality fuels and worn engines burning a lot of oil could leave quite a deposit in a ventilated rocker cover cap . . . . .

1800/2000 Triumphs and Ph 1 Vanguards utilised such caps, as did the Mayflower. Exactly the sort of item that might have occasionally found its way onto a few later cars, as perhaps someone turned up a crate of obsolete caps surplus in the stores . . . . . what else do you do except send them to the production line ? They fitted, that was better than scrapping them. Or if there was a temporary supplier shortage of modern caps with fixed base, then perhaps the only immediately available option was another supplier's detachable base caps . . . .

Cheers

Alec

My early 3a - 2600# - has one of the 710 black caps from i think, circa the 1958-2013 period. I hide it under the bonnet where no one can see it under a film of thick 710 dust