I went to the hardware store and picked up a few things and made my own tool to do the job. Use the tapered allen head screw to flare the bottom of the fitting. and then the bolt to flatten them tight against the bonnet. I used hard nylon washer on anything that may come in contact with the paint for protection. I did have to file a little on the inside of the hole to enlarge the hole for the dzus to go thru after I flattened them onto the bonnet. Getting the retaining washer on the back of the dzus can be a little nerve racking though. I flattened the washer some before I tried to install on the dzus and it made it easier to press the retainer washer into place Take your time and it can be done in less than 1 hour

post-12330-0-61089000-1414802835_thumb.jpg

I used the Moss method and it worked fine. The trick avoiding having to open out the hole with a file is to make sure that the bolt you use to finish crushing the Dzus fastener is the same diameter as the Dzus. That way there is no tendency for the ferrule to shrink.

For crushing the washer I used a suitable size socket on the washer side and a piece of hardwood on the top and tightened it up with a large G clamp.

I cheated a bit because I bought a couple of spare ferrules and washers and practiced on a spare bonnet first.

Rgds Ian

My ferrules were kept in the bonnet during the prep, & respray, so did not have to fit new ones, however, I did have to fit the dzus parts, & the retaining washers. It was tricky, I used a large "G" clamp, with a socket underneath to deform the washer. The clamp was resting on the dzus fastener on top, & just cleared the paint. Big relief when done !

Bob.