H4 conversion

Hi Mark,

Two relays, one for dip beams and one for mains are an excellent idea. The column light switch on my 4A failed twice over a period of ten years through burnt out contacts and I rebuilt it twice by building up the contacts with new solder before finally biting the bullet and fitting relays, which IMHO should have been done by Standard Triumph in the first place, The original light switch design is not up to repeatedly switching 10 amps or so. You will get most benefit by using heavier gauge 17amp cable ( 28/0.30) from terminals 30 of the relays direct to the battery live terminal (with in line fuse) and from terminals 87 to the dip and main beams. This will significantly reduce the voltage drop and give brighter lights. It is also worth cleaning up the headlight earths and cleaning or replacing the possibly 50-year-old bullet connectors in the wiring circuit.

I have found the best 7" headlight units to be Cibie. These are now made under the Valeo name and the part number you require is 082441 (RHD left hand dip no sidelight). The best price currently seems to be through Classic Alfas (tel 020 8688 4443), their part number for these units is L4002. These units give an excellently controlled dip beam with sharp cut off and very good illumination of the near side verge coupled with very good reach on main beam. I also heartily endorse the Osram Nightbreaker in its latest Unlimited iteration and my lights so equipped are more than satisfactory for night driving on unlit roads at any speed up to the NSL. I have had the Cibie headlights on my car for over eight years now and can speak from several thousand miles experience of night driving over that period including four Club Triumph Round Britain Runs, some scatter rallies and three C.T. Ten Countries Runs. For these last I simply replace the units with right hand dip ones since adding headlamp masks inevitably reduces the total light available.

Tim

Thanks all.

Went for the the lucas units, fitted last night and the difference is like night and day:-)

Dithering a bit on the location of the relays. Will probably go for an extra 4FJ fuse box under the bonnet and put the relays in the drivers foot well.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Just received early Christmas parcel with a pair of Cibie headlamps, and a set of Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited bulbs.

Will fit at the weekend and report back.

This really should be a 10 minute job !?

Steve

It's cold out, nonetheless the new headlamps are fitted.

Approx 8 minutes, excluding tea drinking time :-)

They do seem significantly brighter than the old h4 conversions, fitted sometime about 15 years ago!

Steve

• 10 months later...