tr2 inner front wings

Hi, I was looking at my basket case of a tr2 front section tother day and I could not make out if the holes in the lower forward section of the front inner wings were to accommodate the side lamps, or were just rusted out. The tr3a I know has a dimple and not a hole. I searched all my many books for reference without success so I ask all you knowledgeable ones; when was the (side lamp?) hole superseded by a dimple as on the tr3a? assuming the holes are original. I think there are 3 screw holes spaced around the hole/cut out presumably to accommodate the lamp back plate.

Any answer gratefully received and dimensions would be a bonus.....and photos even better.

Thanks in advance. ken

The hole in the inner wing went all the way up to the end of TR3 production though there shouldnt be any screw holes as the lamps were screwed into spire nuts on the front panel

Stuart.

The hole in the inner wing went all the way up to the end of TR3 production though there shouldnt be any screw holes as the lamps were screwed into spire nuts on the front panel

Stuart.

Thank you Stuart....what would we do without you..... that's what I needed. Spire nuts? is that what we call "terry" nuts? or clip nuts? just a bent over clip with lugs to screw into.

ken

Stuart.

As somebody said on the forum recently...."one gets an answer to one problem and the answer throws up yet more unknowns" (or words to that effect.)

I am now wondering what (if any) seal was around the hole? Maybe just something to stop the lamp rubber boot from chafing. It must have been a real rust trap.

ken

Call me old fashioned but I thought 'j' nuts were used not 'u' nuts as they sit neater below the lamp body.

http://www.trfastenings.com/pages/j+nuts

Cheers

Peter W

Ps I'll have to check the books now......

TR2/earlier TR3 L488 side lamps had longer bodies than later 3/3A L594 side lamps, thus needing clearance holes through the inner guard.

The original spring steel spire nuts were J shaped, but are often replaced by more readily available U shaped versions.

Viv

Thanks Viv. Good info..... ken

Call me old fashioned but I thought 'j' nuts were used not 'u' nuts as they sit neater below the lamp body.

http://www.trfastenings.com/pages/j+nuts

Cheers

Peter W

Ps I'll have to check the books now......

Thanks Pete. I had better make notes of all this info for when the day comes to start the resto in earnest.

BTW if you want to put a face to a name, you may recall I came over with my son in his black Nissan 350Z a couple of years ago to buy a brake back plate for the same TR2.

cheers ken

TR2/earlier TR3 L488 side lamps had longer bodies than later 3/3A L594 side lamps, thus needing clearance holes through the inner guard.

The original spring steel spire nuts were J shaped, but are often replaced by more readily available U shaped versions.

Viv

True but as its hard to find the "J" shape ones thats why I put the link up for the "U" ones

Stuart.

FWIW I searched a long time for these and found that the only way to buy was a kit, it has enough for my needs and not hugely expensive.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-300-Piece-Assorted-U-Nuts-J-Nuts-Speed-Fasteners-Set-/301354526575?pt=UK_Baby_BabyFeedingUtensils_EH&hash=item462a21276f

PS saved the paint a little, but if held open with a electrical screwdriver you can minimise damage.