What wire spot and fog lamps (stupid novice question No. 276f/g(ii). )

Going to try and wire up my fog and spot lamp (700 with 48w bulbs).

No idea how many amps they use. Have a panel with seperate L and F switches, so they will have duplicate circuits.

Have in line fuses and relays, but not sure what rating wire to buy and what fuse to put in each?

Thanks as always

Ps - is the thread of the screw in the back of an old lucas switch std (if so what?)

Watts= volts x amps. So

Amps = Watts / Volts

So each 48w lamp will draw 4 amps, I'd fuse it a bit more , at 10 amps? Are you using one or two relays?

There are Construction and Use rules about fog and spot lamps and I have wired mine so that they go out when you dip the the headlamps. Also you are not allowed now I think to drive with only one lamp on. You don't want trucks thinking you are a motorcycle, so have a decent space between them otherwise you could be accused of looking like a Series 1 Landie.

Wiser TR folk will I'm sure pitch in to give you more advice as well. I kept the power feed from the relay to my lamps as short as possible,

I decided to be different and shunned the Orice of Darkness for French Marchal Fantastic spots , plus a directable rally roof lamp( this is really illegal, but chimes in nicely with my Marchal two tone police air horn)

So you will be using the car right through the winter then!

Kind regards

Bill G@ NB

If its an original Lucas switch the thread will probably be BA. You wont find those at Halfords but if you have any (very) old spare domestic light-fittings you might be lucky and find the screw are the same.

Thanks rob, glad I never throw away old elecy switch things !

Bill, for now, I was planning to just have both wired up via a relay each to a switch each and then when I get the alternator fitted, get the man to properly wire the spot to the full beam. If the MoT happens between, I will temporarily take the lights off, or just tell the man they are both used as fogs!

I have a collection of 4 X 576's and 3 700's - maybe I should mount them on the roof and I could look like a truck !