Bad Engine Oil Leak

Hi Patrick,

are these the oil gallery plugs at the front and rear of the engine?

If so then I would fit new aluminium plugs - they come on a stick of 5 or 9 plugs.

You wind the whole stick in (this inserts the front plug) and then cut off the remained. This ensure a really tight fit.

PTFE tape works, PTFE liquid may well work better. Or Hylomar.

My old (steel) plugs had screw driver slots cut into them and they could not be tightened adequately.

Roger

Hi Roger,

I am currently going through the pain of curing oil leaks on my TR4A, I had the engine rebuilt by a so called reputably company only to find they did a terrible job resulting in significant oil leaks at the front and rear of the engine. As i had the engine rebuilt over 18 months ago and have only got around to putting it back in the car and running it , I was told the warranty had expired. Rather than get hot and bothered about it I decided to remove the engine and tear it down myself and rebuild it properly. I have installed the upgraded rear main seal and can confirm it is working well. I used the one that does not need the thread machined from the crankshaft. Anyhow I have still got a small leak at the oil gallery plugs and I have removed them. they are in pretty good nick and I want to put them back in. I note in your comments that you used PTFE tape on these plugs, was that successful?

Name & shame?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, I managed to source some core plugs here in Adelaide, they were too long so I had to do a bit of work cutting them down to size. They are fitted with a 6mm hex head, which allowed me to secure them nice and tight. I went with the PTFE tape solution and so far I now have an oil leak free engine. This is very important as I have to take it to the SA Dept of Transport for an engineering inspection, a bit like an MOT on steroids, any fluid leak is an immediate fail.

Once again thanks for the help.