TR4A IRS body colours

Hello guys,

My TR4A IRS left the Maline factory in 1966, painted bordeaux red.

I would like to find the reference of this paint, who's not stamped on the chassis plate.

Who can help ?

Cheers !

Edited by Chris59

Is that a solid colour or a metallic finish, solid colour may be a Triumph Herald colour and is nothing like Damson.

Stuart.

Hello guys,

Stuart, it's a solid colour.

Unfortunatly, it's not easy to indentify, as this TR has been painted with a "pale yellowish" paint (Renault !) during the early 80s (and haven't seen the light since 1982...), and, except an area under the bonnet, and under the windscreen seal, not much of the original colour was left.

I know that Maline assembled cars were, sometime, painted in colours who were available for another Triumph model, so the Herald option is possible : I own several bordeaux red Herald and 2500 saloons, but can't compare their shades, as this TR is in my painter' workshop, sorry.

Cheers !

If its being repainted to that level i.e. all over to cover up a previous colour change then I would go with the Herald/Saloon colour as Malines used them on all models if requested.

Stuart.

Thanks for your replies guys.

According to "the complete guide to Triumph Herald & Vitesse" (by a Mike Costigan, Bay View Books), the only Herald colour who seems to be bordeaux red available was Cherry red. Is it really a shade of bordeaux ?

Damson Red (17) seems to be a sort of "purple" : what do you think about Carmine Red (82) ?

Edit : according to theis website http://spitlist.info/Paint.html it can't be Damson or Carmine, because Damson was used from 1968 to 71, and Carmine from 1973 to 1980.

So, it may be Cherry Red ?

Hopefully, I may find an untouched area, with original colour who could be scanned, when I'll dismantle this TR.

Edited by Chris59

Keep surfing on the Net and searching in my books : according to the famous Bill Piggott' book "Collector's Originality Guide" , p.168, "at least one Cherry Red car has been found on the records".

This 66 TR4A IRS could be the second ?

Chris there is this 6 in Bordeaux red supposedly.http://www.erclassics.com/Triumph-TR6-classic-car-for-sale-892.php

Though it seems that Burgundy gets translated to Bordeaux on a lot of the car adds.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

@ Alan, I'm not sure to understand how you do this, but it's impressive, and seems pretty close to the colour of my TR4A IRS, maybe more "light".

@ Stuart, Burgundy, Bordeaux, isn't it only a matter of taste ? My favor go to the Bordeaux B) .

More seriously, this TR6 seems more red than my TR4A IRS.

@ Alec, as explained previously, it can't be Carmine (I was tempted myself !) because Carmine was only used from 1973.

82 is not write on the chassis plate, it's only the year when this car was painted in a Renault "pale yellow" colour.

Cheers !

Hoops, sorry chap !

Whatever, I'm still surfing on the Internet, and it seems impossible to find good examples of Cherry Red : they are from a really Bordeaux red to a a bright red !

I think that the best solution will be to polishing an untouched area of the body (inner doors, maybe ?), and to spray a new steel panel in Cherry Red, who seems to be PPG 71452.

I know that it's also possible to scan the paint, but I'd rather try to perfectly match the paint as she was when this 4 left the Maline factory.

I took the hexadecimal paint code 7f002c and turned it into percent RGB.

It matched the web-sample in the link above.

I pasted the colour into the shade layer of my GIMP model.

The model is from an image on the forum.

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/13770-painting-windscreen/

I adjusted the contrast and brightness so that the door-panel matched the web-sample.

The process would work in reverse. That is to say you could photo your paint and match to that and find the hex paint code.

This may not actually help getting paint the same colour. But is fun.

Edited by AlanT

Chris, my 4A IRS is also one of the 2400 odd CKD Malines TR units of all models, and I suspect also produced in 1966, though registered as 1967 here. Our TR4A's could well be the same colour , as mine is often referred to Carmine Red, Damson, Burgundy etc. I am intrigued by Stuart's link to the Bordeau Red - maybe that's it?? When I required a rattle can about 14 years back, it came back with the notation "Carmine, Rover Code CAA" on the can. When I replaced the Windscreen (see pictures in my post of July 18, 2014 "windshield Replaced") - sorry don't know how to provide the link - the frame beneath the rubber was the same body colour, but the visible parts were black, which may have been done later??, so there is no evidence that it has been repainted, (though the bonnet and boot have been done).

I would be most interested in what you find out regarding a definitive colour number - Stuart once commented that Malines colours of that time could be anything out of the Corporate parts bin.

The Malines factory would and could paint the cars assembled there in any colour from the whole range so often Saloon or even van colours appear on CKD cars and unfortunately there are virtually no records to refer to.

Stuart.

Some years ago I was in Belgium with Bert Smeets, in the company of a gentleman who had been a senior manager at Mechelen (Malines) in the 60s and 70s. We were admiring a local (and extraordinarily original) Stag in a colour I hadn't seen before . . . . the plate gave no clue, as in lacking a code. Bert's pal explained that at least a few cars were painted from new in colours that were not from the Triumph or even BL range . . . . . Such personalisation was evidently by no means unique, and simply required a longer than usual order lead time and an appropriate additional payment.

Chris' car may have been painted in a non-BL colour from the start.

Cheers

Alec

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

@ Alf, apparently, the surface of paint visible under the windscreen seal is too small for a paint scan.

I still have to remove the doors cards, with some luck I may find something useable.

@ Stuart and Alec, you can't imagine how much I hope you are wrong, because if it's not a Triumph period paint, it will be a problem.

All I need is, as write by Jef, some good luck.

Cheers !

Edited by Chris59

Chris, please keep us posted on what you find out. Interesting, are you able to rent analyzers or is it a service provided where you have to take the car in?

The higher end bodyshops often have these Spectrum analysers and some paint factors. Expensive units and they are usually software linked to the particular paint scheme that the bodyshop or paint factors use as the tinters that make up the paint colours are often different from one paint manufacturer to another.You can take a panel in to have it analysed but it needs to be a reasonable size for the machine to sit against and focus on as any stray light will upset the readings.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart