Stumbled upon this ad... TR3 with some interesting details.

CSJ 770 is still UK registered, and I remember seeing it some 15 years ago - it was in the UK for 3 years or so. As I recall, many of the accessories and non-standard customisation appeared to me to be period rather than recent.

Lots of unusual details, some at least of which are probably more typical of the South African built cars than their Coventry cousins - the Motor Assemblies production incorporated a significant amount of locally sourced component, and modifications to suit local conditions.

Link to MA history - http://motor-assemblies.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/motor-assemblies-limited.html

'Original' is a bit of a flexible concept when applied to cars assembled overseas with local content !

Cheers

Alec

You have always been able to register a car in a number of countries provided you had a residency there.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

For me that car has more appeal and value than a cosmetically restored one simply because it is in period clothes, worts and all. In my world blindly following what supposedly came from the factory is not necessarily the whole story. I think it is nice to see a car that has no pretensions, is an honest time warp of what was accepted at the time and is still running.

I spotted the grottiest Swallow Dorretti during the Moffat annual run this year at the picnic site. It was beaten up, rusty, and had that postwar delapidation that started me at least, down the slippery slope of classic cars. It was a joy to talk to the old owner who just used and used and used the car just for the joy of it.