stub axle removal

Sorry chaps / chapeses

Back again.

Trying to remove front stub axles, I have read previous posts and tried most of the methods but I am reluctant to give the end too big a thump even with the old well screwed down to try and protect the threads, At the moment the offending article is sitting on the workmate teasing me!

I have attached a 3 leg puller the the vertical link, and tightened up against the short end, heated the link tightened up again belted the puller with a hammer tightened up again............and walked away, who knows perhaps it's got the message by now. But just in case it hasn't any fool proof / idiot proof method of getting the little sod out..........without bugg****g it up please?

The recipe for freeing tapers is to apply some tension with a puller and the strike SIDEWAYS with two hammers at once on the part with the tapered hole.

I don't know why this works but it does.

Big hammers with small blows work better than small hammers with a big swing.

Heat is also good but not easy to get enogh on this without oxy-acetylene.

Thanks all as always,

I'll give the double hammer dodge a shot in the morning, "big hammers small blows" sounds scientific I like that. If that does not work I'll pop down to the local motor engineers and cross their palm with silver.

Reason for all the spannering, confession time, the first time around about six months ago when I was perhaps still a little wet behind the ears I stripped the front suspension, to cut a long story sideways I put the old vertical links back on and had doubts about them ever since especially when I think it was Stuart posted a picture of what the big threads should look like! So I bought a nice shiny new pair, and have to remove the stubs and replace them in the new links. The stubs look good no scoring or wear that i can see so I have no worries about them, which is good as this is not a job I enjoy.

AlanT,

Temporal malformation of the taper surfaces.

The stiction (the same as you get between two ringing surfaces ) bugger (two surfaces which are flat enough to displace air and so cause a suction between the two surfaces) for example with slip gauges, bugger (just look that up ok !). Between the two tapered surfaces is temporarily broken by the sideways impact (it causes a miniscule ripple to travel down the taper) which if the taper is under removal tension (ie it's being pushed out) will then allow the tapers to release and the stub axle or track rod end whatever to be ejected.

As you say inertia is the key and a 2 lb club hammer swung gently with another held firmly behind and against the tapered surface will provide enough of a shock to do the job. If it doesn't work first time persevere without beating it to death in desperation.

Mick Richards

The recipe for freeing tapers is to apply some tension with a puller and the strike SIDEWAYS with two hammers at once on the part with the tapered hole.

I don't know why this works but it does.

I suspect it's the same process as for releasing tapered ball joints: Combination of vibrations and metal distortion. Big hammers and big blows always work better though :rolleyes:

See I knew it was scientific, with the addition of what I believe the engineering term is a couple of BFH's. will let you know how I get on tomorrow.

Thanks all.

Well, I never knew that ! I had always thought that people that used the two hammer method were "bodging" the job cos they had not got the right splitters.

Now I see the reasoning behind the method, I will give it a try next time.

Bob.

Old trick for track rod ends/ball joints. You do need two hammers though. 1 one side and then hit the other with the 2nd. Works a lot easier with a bit of tension put on the joint. For stub axles Im not sure they would surrender that way due to the depth of the taper, most of the time they do need a press,

Stuart.

Hi David,

are these the original stubs that you are fitting into the new VL's.

If so then I think it would be sensible to replace them with new ones..

The stub axles live an interesting life and when they are 40/50 years old may not really be up to the job.

New ones are cheap(ish).

Roger

Good point Roger- there has been a recent thread on the MMM register forum about instances of cracked stub axles and related suspension/steering component failures. Granted the cars are quite a bit older but fatigue life must be a factor for any old vehicle particularly if it has been used 'enthusiastically' during its long life.

Rob

Thanks fellas for all the suggestions, I tried the two hammer trick but no joy so I wimped out took it to local garage really nice bloke put in in a 20 ton press and "bonk" out she popped....didn't half make me jump! Whole operation including drive to garage less than half a hour. total cost price of a pint and he really didn't want to take that, but I know I still have the other side to do!

The half shafts them selves look (to my untrained eye) very good, no scoring or worn grooves, She may be getting on a bit but has not been on the road for 30 years, so they are quite new really?

Thanks to all again.