Very early LHD TR5 to be restored

My son is on the water every weekend, training with his optimist (he has a Ben Ainslie poster in on the wall of his room).

Anyway, earlier this year, his coach and I found out that we share a hobby: TRs! At that time he was busy restoring a 250 for a local guy. After completing the 250 (and winning an award on the Dutch National Triumph Day!) he bought one for himself.

A very early TR5. An Earls Court Motor Show car. White and as far as he knows the earliest LHD TR5. After the Earls Court Show, the car was used as a press car.

The owner has planned a 3 yr restoration and he hopes to finish the restoration before the 2017 IWE, because in August 2017 it's the 50 anniversary of the TR5. There's reason to believe that this car was built on the very first day of production!

Peter, the owner, isn't into pictures or internet. I'll try to take some pics from time to time and post them here (on an irregular basis, that is...)

To be continued!

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij

Will be great to see such a car back on the road, i wont wish the years away, but look forward to 2017.

Cheers,

Conrad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's CP20LO indeed. Gerrit sold the car to Peter last summer.

Yesterday, I spoke with Peter about the car. A few details he told me:

• The wiring is wrapped in white coloured material. As far as Peter can tell at this moment, it looks as if it's done by the factory.
  • There's a lot confusion about the engine. Currently, there's TR6 engine (according to the #) in the car. However, there's another engine with the car. And that one has a very low #. CP21E
  • CP21E is probably not the original engine#: it looks as if the original is grinded away and there's a new number stamped on the side of the engine.
  • As far as Peter knows, the original engine # is CP21(without the E!).
  • Peter has been talking with a befriended dentist; both are going to try to retrieve the original #, using the dentist's X-ray machine...

Peter also told me that Roger Ferris (the TR5 Registrar) also knows about the car's details.

Menno

• 2 years later...

Resurrection of an old post. More than two year have gone by. I mentioned the phase of the restoration in other threads, but time to resurface this one, because my friend Peter's last (not latest) project is coming together nicely. I will near his address in March, so I will visit him for a few pics and how things are.

A few pics, not only because of the car's interesting fuel pump layout:

25DAFEAD-93A1-4E58-B282-3EB0B30790DF_zps

A8E82C0B-CAA9-4A7E-9E25-3F063696BE8A_zps

BEEE8939-2C7E-4D4C-97D8-7E18B0E5F253_zps

Peter's health is not that good: his eye problems are getting worse, so he's has increasing problems seeing parts etc.

Menno

I wonder why Triumph moved the pump to the boot on the production cars, cooler in the boot maybe?

Looks to be a top class restoration, always liked the White Exterior & Red Interior colour combination :)

Edited by Gary Flinn

It is a great looking car. The owner did a 4 and won on the International, he did a RHD 5 for a friend and that won a few prices (until that friend had enough and started entering rally's with the car). This is his third and last (health problems)

Nice pictures Menno.. Unfortunately here history repeats itself, Gerrit did sell the car due to health problems as he was not able to restore it himself...

Gerrit will be happy to see the car restored to such a nice condition.

The fist time he told me about his intentions to sell it, I was interested to buy the car, but I was in the middle of the TR3 restorartion and I was seriously lacking space for another car.. :(