Footwell carpet tr2

Hi,

Im about to install the carpet kit i bought.

I have been trialfitting and like to know how to place the piece of carpet on the Side.

I have a left hand drive car with the dipswitch on the left Side.

There is an indent in the Side, but of course the carpet is Straight.

Any tips , advice?

Edited by EdwinTiben

Hi Edwin,

I am pretty sure that the pressing is the same on my Left hand drive car.

I will take some pictures today and drop you a mail. In the mean time can you send me a picture if what you have, both carpet and draft excluder to fit.

Early cars had a plywood stiffening plate, covered in trim fabric, commonly known as a "Hockey stick" that trapped the carpet and draft excluder.

Later had, I think, a milboard former with the carpet wrapped round it and then screwed in position. Draft excluders also changed from trim fabric covered rubber hose to Furflex type.

The method I found that worked depends a little on the carpet you have, but basically I started from the back and worked towards the front of the foot well.

Line up carpet, draft excluder and trim if used.

Glue draft excluder to the edge.

Apply glue to the first 150 mm

Line up and attach, and leave the glue to go off for about an hour.

Push carpet into the depression and mark and cut holes for the dip switch bracket.

Apply glue from first area to the forward edge of the depression.

Using a roller (30MM WIDE ISH) push the carpet into the depression and then attach the dip switch bracket. Use steam if the carpet has stretch in it.

Leave the glue to go off.

Push the carpet flat and use a sharp cutting blade and make a single cut that allows the carpet to lay flat . You may need to make two cuts depending how the carpet lies when flat

Lay the cut section over the excess and under trim till it sits flat with a little extra that will compress where they join.

Glue into position and then ease the carpet together till seam is matched and press down.

use a point marker and ease the carpet weave together.

Alternatively butt and glue the two cut edges together and then glue some fabric over the joint. finally glue this into position.

It really depends on the type of carpet you have and how much give(stretch) it has. If you mark the area of the depression beforehand and then apply steam you can sometimes start the moulding to shape before you start. The carpet in this area was very thin originally, almost like a thick velvet but easy to form into shape.

Difficult to describe but having seen the job on the dash, you will find a way using some of these ideas.

I'll email some pics of mine fitted.

Rgds.

Rod

Edited by Rodbr

Hi Rod,

thanks for the elaborate description. wil make some photo's.

i have the draft excluder (the end visible next to the dash has to be redone, its not the same as the original.) and the hockeystick.

I will try to stretch the carpet allthough its quite thick, wool based.

very curious where the cuts has to be, this will probably reveal some of the ice blue paint beneath I think.

I do have some vinyl in blackberry left so i could glue this in these aera's first ?

I have been thinking about cutting out the rectangular form of the indend, sowing an edge to it aswell as to the edges of the "hole" in the carpet.

Hi Edwin,

It is difficult to describe but with material into the "hole" the front part will have a sort of raised loop of material.

Press material flat and make a single cut from "hole" to front (footwell) lift this section push the excess carpet under and then cut along the edge a little more than would meet the edge.

Probably triangle in shape.

Lay flat so the edge butt together and then glue edges with backing cloth if needed, that will cover your blue paint.

If you go with the cut out way, cut 1/2 to 3/4 bigger than the "hole" and make the joint on a flat section. If you try to sew together on a Turn the carpet will open up and show the join.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Edwin,

Nice job, identical to mine.

I note you have used the original screw spacing and you end up with the bulging "hockeysticks". It may be be worth using a hot iron with brown paper barrier to flatten the carpet pile a little this will allow the "Hockeystick" to sit closer and not bulge as much. Backing off the screws once glue is set should also help and progressively screw them up over time as the pile flattens.

The original carpets were much thinner with a significantly shorter pile which did not have this problem.

Sorry but haven't found those carpet clips anywhere yet.

rgds

Rod

Edited by Rodbr