TR4A body to chassis mounts vs TR6

The TR4A chassis doesn't have body mounting pads on the rear suspension cross piece unlike the TR6 which allow the rear "seat" to be fixed to the chassis. This seems to me to leave the 4A fuel tank/rear deck part of the body in suspension to a degree and therefore able to flex. Does it trouble anyone else?

My telescopic rear shock conversion which picks up on the lever arm shock mounting points also has a tab at the top which is unused at present but could provide a measure of rigidity if I put a bolt in through the wheel arch. Good idea or not?

Edited by peejay4A

Depends on how well the shell has been rebuilt or the integrity of an un-restored one. You very often find cracks at the front of the bottom lip on the inner arch by the edge of the parcel shelf but you can find them on 5`s and 6`s that have the extra mount as well so it doesnt make that much different. The extra tab on your brackets can be bolted through but I suspect you`ll find you may get a creak from it after a while. If you really want to make a difference there then fit the type 3 brackets.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart. I went ahead and bolted them through with a spreader on the inside. There's definitely evidence of flexing in the body relative to the chassis, not much though. It seems to me to be a long unsupported distance between the rear chassis mount and the T/A outrigger where the sills rest so I figure a bit more support won't go amiss.

Hi Pete,

I think you are worrying too much. Imagine the stress on that area when the boot is crammed with holiday baggage etc but it never fails. Excellent box section.

Now Double decker buses - that's a different kettle of kippers.

Roger

Hi Pete,

I think you are worrying too much. Imagine the stress on that area when the boot is crammed with holiday baggage etc but it never fails. Excellent box section.

Now Double decker buses - that's a different kettle of kippers.

Roger

Roger

How do you get a double decker bus in the boot of a TR4A ? it would never shut, much better to tie it to the luggage rack :rolleyes::blink:

Hi Alan,

I have a phobia about double decker buses falling over.

People have explained to me the physics, leverage. moments etc but they look totally unsafe - I'm surprised the cretins in Brussels have not banned them.

Funny thing is that I think they are wonderful contraptions and I do go on them from time to time - but I always hang on to something.

Roger