TR6 Fuel Pump

My car is almost ready for the mot, after 3 years!!

A proplem that has always been there since i bought the car 4 years ago.

When i turn on ignition, before starting up, there is a horrible scream coming from the fuel or filter in the boot?

When engine running the noise is still there.

The sound level changes, its always there, even with differant levels of fuel.

The engine runs fine!

What could this be.

post-10481-0-28781300-1413015460_thumb.jpg

Scorp,

It seems you already have a diaphragm PRV fitted. I would suggest it could be the length of braided hose (non PTFE?) causing resonance. Try fitting the shorter PFTE lined one from Revingtons.

See below for some background, I had the same problems on my last TR6:

1. http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/28762-vuxs-new-black-grille-surround/?hl=vuvuzela&do=findComment&comment=210542

3. http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/28977-damn-the-vu-vu-zela-is-back/?hl=vuvuzela&do=findComment&comment=211940

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Or you could refit the original Lucas Pump...and then your trunk floor would fit as well ! ;)

Edited by Denis

Or you could refit the original Lucas Pump...and then your trunk floor would fit as well ! ;)

The boot floor is stepped so it will fit over the pump, mines does - that said, I will be changing back to the original Lucas pump once it's been reconditioned.

I didn't get if you running lucas fp, had a similar noise and it came to a fine adjustment of the pump slack, on the top adjust the screw, tightnet a litle loctite fix and presto no more screeminh:-)

Aftrer speeking to Revington today, I have now decided to go with there advise and buy a new replacment PRV.

I will let you all know how it goes.

Related topic - I was running (up to 1998) with a Bosch 0580254996 pump behind the rear wheel, but still occassionaly had cavitation problems. This was from a TR supplier but isn't one of the pumps that Roger Milliams mentions. It still runs from the standard diesel type filter. So, are the currently supplied Bosch conversions better for the application than this, or should I do something else like put an electric SU pump in the feed.

Edited by HarveyCoppock

if you go to Lucas injection.com there is a page on different bosch fuel pumps. The 996 is no longer made i believe but available from time to time on ebay at a big price.

The bosch poumps whcih work are the 909/910 and 044 but the last one needs big amps.

Syetc offer comparative spec pumps at lower price (sadly discovered this after I bought the bosch).

Guys on here recommend putting the pump as low down as possible in the boot to ensure that the pump has a good feed and, if possible fit a bigger diameter outflow pipe from the tank.

Enginuity tells me that it installs its pump externally - cooler running and even lower down but I havent seen their conversion.

I fitted a swirl pot and feeder pump which is noisy at start up but I can run the tank down to last couple of litres before I experience any problems and have not had any 'cavitation' problems or significant whining since fitting the revington PRV.

With hindsight it would have been cheaper and easier just to get Prestige or Enginuity to do it but it was fun.

Good luck Snowy

Morning Gentlemen, i have recently fitted complete lucas system, each component rebuilt by Neil Ferguson (Raven Smith)....i wont say i havent had initial problems, the pump was over heating very quickly and coming to a halt, (on the way home from norfolk! }..

It was the prv that was the problem, it had one of the weaker adjusting screws in it and failing to perform.

I swapped the Prv and hey presto,everything has calmed down, and the pump whirs away contentedly and my psi is a steady 108.

But bugger its now **** weather, and she wont be out on many more days before spring arrives.

All the best,

Conrad.

Aftrer speeking to Revington today, I have now decided to go with there advise and buy a new replacment PRV.

I will let you all know how it goes.

The replacment PRV for Rev, Has Sorted It !!!!!!!! No More Screaming.......