Blast it . . . lost boot badges

Popped out for a run around yesterday and this morning I notice that my TR5 "Triumph" and "Overdrive" badges are missing from the boot. Not happy! At least the "TR5 PI" badge remains. I've sent off for some non-original replacements, but I wonder what chance there is of finding some originals out there. Anyone know of any?

Thanks, Darren

Edited by TR5tar

I am sorry to hear that Darren. With the rebuild of my project TR5 signal Red (Rooster) I have put the original badges back on.These are not perfect but good enough. I would dread to know how you feel about the scum who stole your badges.

I sincerely hope it is not anyone in our close fraternity but an isolated case.

Regards Harry.

Thanks Harry. I can't say for sure if the badges were stolen or just came loose. I went to see the end of the Triumph Round Britain Reliability tour last Sunday afternoon and I know that the badges were in place when I went, as I have it on camera, and they'd gone when I returned. I'd like to believe that they were not taken, but I'm not sure. There were quite a few people around the car, which is often the case at Triumph events, so I didn't think too much of it. There's no scratches to the paint work, which I thought might be the case if someone had pushed something down behind the badges to remove them.

Darren

Sympathies Darren.

I've never come across badges 'falling off' of their own accord . . . . . whereas I've heard of too many instances of TR5 badges being stolen.

It's what tends to happen when original badges become ludicrously overvalued by silly blighters paying daft money.

There's a lot to be said for repros that are clearly identifiable as repros !

Cheers

Alec

Appreciate the kind thoughts Alec and Graham. I suppose I am being a bit naïve to think that it's a coincidence that the badges should just fall off at a Triumph event. It is very disappointing. Fortunately, the "TR5 PI" badge remains (which was one reason why I thought it might not have been theft), so I just have to work out what to do about the other two badges. Graham has given me some good advice on that one, and I've already got a "Triumph" repro as you suggest Alec.

Darren

Thanks for your support Mike and Neil.

Despite plenty of experience of the contrary, I like to believe that most people are decent, but it becomes more difficult when things like this happen. What is really sad is that, if the badges were stolen, it was probably by someone who would claim to have a love of the cars.

Of course, it's only a couple of badges in the end, and as I can attest there are plenty of worse things that can happen. But, what really upsets me is not the financial cost, it's that something of the car's history has been lost. I think of my TR as more than just a car, it is a piece of history to be preserved for future generations. I'm nothing more than a guardian.

I think you are right Neil that there's a price to pay for owning a TR5, or indeed anything that's nice or unusual. I friend of mine said he saw a lovely Aston Martin DB6 recently that someone had clearly scratched with a key.

Darren

Hi Darren, i also went to see the triumphs,i was at Blyth services on the A1 on the friday night....i dont think there is anything missing from the car, but i was parked right in front of the check in tent,so in a safe place....i am the same as you and tend to trust everyone, especially at car events.

Sounds like you have good advice from the right people, and yes we are mere custodians of these cars.

Cheers,

Conrad.

Cut a thread on the mounting pins, secure with a nut and washer behind, then araldite the lot . . . . .

Some years ago I noted someone acting suspiciously round the back of a TR5, and clocked his identity. A little later said car still had its badges, and blood on the boot. Our hero had presumably tried springing off the badge, unsuccessfully, and whatever technique employed he'd lost fingernails in the process . . . . We had words, I haven't seen hm at a TR gathering since.

Cheers

Alec

I have lost two TR5 bonnet badges, fortunately they were not originals.

I had even glued them to the paint due to one of the 3 holes for the mounting pins being dodgy, Paint was actually pulled off the bonnet as it was so well stuck, fortunately the replacement badge covered the hole in the paint.

First loss occurred at a quiet country pub, can't actually remember where the second one disappeared but it wasn't at a show, I was using the car as a daily driver at the time.

Neil

Absolutely agree with you on the Hammurabis comment, Pete, and your other point. It would have definitely been someone who knew what they were doing (and who should have known better). Sorry to hear about the badges you lost Neil. Looking at another post, I see that the bonnet badge is even more difficult and expensive to replace than the ones I lost.

On a positive note, one kind and very generous forum member who read this thread sent me a spare, original "Triumph" badge, for which I am extremely grateful. As for the "Overdrive" badge, that is proving more difficult to replace. I've not seen any originals around, so I've had to settle for a repro, but there's a problem in that all the repos available at the usual UK suppliers have black lettering, instead of the correct cream. After a bit of trial and error, I've painted the lettering cream. It's far from perfect, but it's all I can do until I get something better. Here's the result.

post-12866-0-17584800-1414105067_thumb.jpg

Edited by TR5tar

Good effort Darren,

that's good enough for my liking.

A tip from another TR5 owner, who didn't wish to post himself . . . .

Between badge and boot, an old-fashioned razor blade with just a touch of blutack securing it to the body, but not the badge, and the mounting pin goes through the blade centre.

Herbert tries levering off the badge, as it comes the razor slices his digits to the bone.

Evidently the only downside to this was getting the resulting blood off the mohair tonneau - not from the tealeaf's fingers, but from where someone else popped Herbert's nose, our hero being absent from his car at the time.

Cheers

Alec

Absolutely agree with you on the Hammurabis comment, Pfenlon, and your other point. It would have definitely been someone who knew what they were doing (and who should have known better). Sorry to hear about the badges you lost Stag. Looking at another post, I see that the bonnet badge is even more difficult and expensive to replace than the ones I lost.

On a positive note, one kind and very generous forum member who read this thread sent me a spare, original "Triumph" badge, for which I am extremely grateful. As for the "Overdrive" badge, that is proving more difficult to replace. I've not seen any originals around, so I've had to settle for a repro, but there's a problem in that all the repos available at the usual UK suppliers have black lettering, instead of the correct cream. After a bit of trial and error, I've painted the lettering cream. It's far from perfect, but it's all I can do until I get something better. Here's the result.

Darren,

The Roadster Factory in the US have the cream overdrive badges if you're not happy with what you have.

http://trf.zeni.net/TR6-TR250GB/index.php?menu=B&page=239

Cheers

Graeme

That's a fiendishly clever deterrent, Alec. I like it and I will employ it. Great story too.

Thanks for the info on The Roadster Factory Graeme. I'll look at getting one of theirs as a backup.

I've really appreciated everyone's advice and support.

Darren

Hi Darren, it looks like you have done a pretty good job on the badge, another job done .

Those at the roadster factory look ok too......i also like Alec`s forthright way of deterring the would be thief, i wish i had been there at the Malvern attempted theft !

Keep up the good work,

Conrad.