Washer jets - TR4

I need a clear description (or pictures) of the washer jet options for an early (1962) TR4?

My wiper shaft holes in the body are slightly tear shaped which I guess is to allow the water pipe through, and I guess this works with the "jet and bush" part as pictured in the Moss catalogue. But these look to be in black, which I don't see as appropriate.

So, are my options...

• Source chrome versions of the "jet and bush" parts (Think I saw a photo linked to Alan T's car - but available from where?)
  • Fit separate chrome washer jet - but then the wiper shaft will show a slight gap between the body where the tear shaped hole is not quite covered.

Guidance please!

Thanks

Norman

Edited by TRnorm

Hi Norman,

The TR4's were only ever fitted with the black composite "jet bush", as currently being sold by Moss.

The size and shape of each unit fully covers the pear shaped hole in the bodywork, the wiper wheel box shaft comes up one side and the washer pipe on the other.

The chromed "jet bushes" you refer to were one off items made by Alan T.

Regards, Richard

Not appropriate because they are poor quality. Here is a pic of a Moss jet and bush I received with

1/ no hole in the bush

2/ one jet missing

I did ask AlanT about his home-made very desirable chromed version and his description of the process to come to the result was quite a daunting task. I'm not sure you wanna know about it

AFIK no chromed version have been made in series from other suppliers

post-11469-0-13163500-1412585017_thumb.jpg

Have a good search on ebay. I have a feeling I saw some "chrome" ones on there.

I made mine for fun, from 1in brass bar. There was not much machine work required.

Basically they were made by sawing and filing.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/90670218@N04/E9q5n7/

I could probably be persuaded to make the "big-hole" for you Norman.

This is the only thing that is awkward without the right machinery.

The trick is to make both at once. This assists with work-holding.

Edited by AlanT

Thanks everyone.

At least I now know what I'm looking at - even if I'm unsure which way to go!

PS

I took the liberty of looking at your other flicker pages Alan - some nice work there!

Regards

Norman

Apart from the big-hole the rest of the hand work is fairly easy. Basically you round off the corners.

The problem is holding the funny shapes. So I worked two at once, soft-soldered together, so I was always holding a square bar.

This allowed maching all the holes, on a lathe, in a 4-jaw chuck.

Wow!!!

The hinges are by a long way the most difficult of these bits to make.

The pivot pins must be co-axial when the hinges are in place. This is pretty tricky.

Thanks for the offer. I will remember.

Got about 1ft left at the moment.

Looking back it's fortunate that I got a nice soft grade of brass that files easily.

It came as a job lot with 1m of marine stainless.

This has made some useful TR bits also. Bumper washers and such.

Nice work Alan.

Norman, the washer/wiper bushes that have been on my TR4A since 2000 are blackened brass, very robust, and would be easy to get chromed. I think I got them from Revingtons but a quick look at their catalogue doesn't show them anymore. I will have a look through the paperwork to see if I can confirm the supplier.

Cheers

Graeme

Edited by graeme

Thanks Graeme, if you can find the source easily I would be most interested.

Any chance of a photo, if you have a second to spare?

Regards

Norman

Thanks guys but it is the washer jet bit that I'm trying to solve. I took it that those that Graeme has fitted did have the jet, but I'm now wondering if they dont! If they do Graeme, then i would still like to see a photo if possible.

Norman

Norman,

According the catalogue I have the Revington part No. was LU54704807MB and described as gun metal rather than brass. Also LU54704807MC was a chromed version. I have checked on line and it would appear that they no longer supply these now. May be worth a call to see if they have any left?

Photos.

TR4A-005_zpsab06c44e.jpg

TR4A-003_zps53c0da2d.jpg

Cheers

Graeme

Edited by graeme

Thanks Graeme - contacted Revingtons and they confirm no longer available.

Anyway, made the decision to go with the standard black rubber arrangement for the moment and then when I have more time sort it as i want. At least I now know what's what.

Thanks everyone.

Norman