Cleaning capilary tube from temp gauge

Hi

If you buy a new cheap capillary temp gauge, as per ebay:

Tim Water Temperature Gauge Mechanical/Capillary 700004

you can splice the bulb and pipe from the new unit onto the back of an old Triumph style ( or whatever) head, you need to make a brass sleeve, and solder the two ends together as a close distance to the head as convenient.

So you don't loose all the ether, keep the bulb and pipe immersed in ice/water. Recalibrate by removing the needle, and replace at 100 C ( or 212F) with the bulb in a pan of boiling water. Total cost £28.50 , assuming brass for sleeve is 'in stock".

Use an electric iron, not gas one, for obvious reasons.

Done this several times as too tight to pay exorbitant cost for a pro restoration.

Cheers

Mike

I never though of that ! always assumed that if you broke the pipe anywhere then that was it for the gauge. interesting.

(I cleaned mine using a quick blast with a sand blaster, then calibrated it as described above, except I got the water temp to be 185°F, & set the needle to that.

Bob.

• 2 weeks later...

In the end i used tinner to dissolve the most of the goo then used brake cleaner.

After i used a bit of sand paper to brush up the Outer cover.

To protect it for corrosion i sprayed a bit of grease and "polished" it a bit.

See my rebuild post for the results.

Thanx for advice!