Rotten vertical link thread

Hi chaps,

As part of my chassis change I am rebuilding the suspension..

Just finished disassembling one front corner and I thoguht I would share a picture of the thread on the vertical link..

Bare in mind this passed the last 4 MOTs..

The threads are very pitted with bits missing in places.

The whole thing is "waisted" at the top and there was 2-3 mm of play in almost all directions..

(what is really scary is that I drove round Spa and Lemans like this!!0

think I need a new link!

tim

post-9977-0-74997600-1412069703_thumb.jpg

Tim,

Buy a lottery ticket this weekend !

Mick Richards

Hi chaps,

As part of my chassis change I am rebuilding the suspension..

Just finished disassembling one front corner and I thoguht I would share a picture of the thread on the vertical link..

Bare in mind this passed the last 4 MOTs..

The threads are very pitted with bits missing in places.

The whole thing is "waisted" at the top and there was 2-3 mm of play in almost all directions..

(what is really scary is that I drove round Spa and Lemans like this!!0

think I need a new link!

tim

I have the identical for the other hand - do you want it to make a pair? - it is a bit grottier I suspect as it has been the garage door stop for 20 years

Peter W

The other side will likely be just as bad.

All too easy to overlook the facts that

Any 40 year old car needs a proper serious maintenance and service regime.

The MoT test will not show up all potentially dangerous wear aspects, not by a long chalk.

Too few classic owners realise either . . . . .

Cheers

Alec

Yes...

did the same sort of rebuild on a spitfire 10 years ago and had similar damage...

Wonder how many TRs are out there with similar issues.

Cheers

Tim

Too many by far . . . . . !

I'm fortunate in so much as my MoT man will happily give my car a proper going over with me - first he MoT tests it, then we get out the big hammer, chisel and pry bar and give it some stick . . . . and check over the things the MoT test doesn't cover. And he gives the car a road test work out.

Guaranteed to find the odd lurking problem, need I add, and well worth the forty quid in folding for the extra hour.

Cheers

Alec

Hi Tim,

that was certainly a timely find. The VL can and does break at the top of the thread.

When my wish bone bracket snapped in July I decided to replace both VL's as they were of the same vintage 47 years old.

Consider using the SuperPro seal that seals the top of the threaded section.

Water in threads just sits there and does its work. The grease may slow it down but will not stop it.

Roger

You might luck out and the other side will be better. That was the case with mine. In the pic, the right piece was the knackered one, the middle piece was the other side. The left one is a new replacement.

Ed

SDC11281a.JPG

And to think, many owners fit wider wheels and tyres, it wasn't designed to cope with!

Interestingly there were a number of other issues. The lower shock bolt on the same side was pretty siezed. This meant that when the chassis was "bounced" by me standing above the 't shirt' only the drivers side suspension moved significantly. The passengers side hardly moved at all.

Tim