Seatbelt Options for a TR3a

I get my car back tomorrow after what seems like months in the garage having 101 fixes, not least of which was a twisted body from a poor repair by the previous owner!

So now my kids are asking me if they can go out in the car and after reading/commenting on the "where are the next members coming from" thread, I reckon I might need to do something about seatbelts. My car has none, which has meant the kids (5 and 8 years old) can't go out in it.

The only thing I am sure of is I don't want four point harnesses. I know they are safe, but I hate them. So I'm left with (I guess) static three point or lap belts?

Has anyone fitted aftermarket belts to their TR3a? Any do's and don'ts?

Thanks

Richard

You can fit inertia reel belts but must be careful on the positioning of all the bolts. Do you have an occasional rear seat fitted? the box mounts above it.

The belts I used are Securon inertia reel types

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop/viewproducts.aspx?plateindexID=15578

Cheers

Peter W

R. i can email you some pics of the securon inertia mounting points on my early 3a - the position of which which i inherited from a po

ihave just replaced the belts, but left the positions the same.

they are not quite perfect in my view but better than re-drilling

a key is to ensure that the reel is upright to allow free i gress/egress of the belt

pm me your email

In 2012, I drove TS2 for 23 days and the three-point harness kept slipping down off my shoulder so this part of it was like a second very loose lap belt. I couldn't keep it up on my shoulder. I was told that if a constable saw me with the belt this way, I would get a 'ticket" as we say here in Canada. It was most annoying and I must say that I prefer my two-point lap belt in my own 1958 TR3A. BTW, when I bought my TR3A brand new in 1958 it came with no seat belts so I put in the lap belts when I decided to do serious rallying from 1959 to 1965.

At the Harewood hill-climb in TS2, in 2012, you can see the red fabric of the shoulder belt has clearly fallen off my shoulder.

post-1056-0-25632500-1411177897_thumb.jpg

Edited by Don Elliott

Richard

Talking to Andrew and Duncan on their visit this week they both have 3 point belts fitted to their 3a's. Duncan has an Inertia and Andrew has static. They both said the secret to stop the belt slipping of your sholder was to mount the guide to the vertical part of the wheel arch rather than putting it on the horizontal top part

Cheers

Alan

Brilliant, thanks everyone (Austin, that guide you emailed is superb. Thank you so much).

I think this will be one of the next jobs on the list. Having only ever driven a car with seatbelts it feels very strange without and I'm keen to get my kids out in it.

Thanks again!!

In 2012, I drove TS2 for 23 days and the three-point harness

kept slipping down off my shoulder so this part of it was like a

second very loose lap belt. I couldn't keep it up on my shoulder.

I have 3-point seat belts fitted in TR 2100, using the

factory-drilled locations.

OK, it's a 4 but the fixing positions must be all but

identical to TR2s and TR3s.

As Don says, the over-shoulder strap does have a

tendency to slip off, but that is very easy to correct -

just tighten the shoulder strap to a nice snug fit.

Surprisingly for one who finds many of the automatic

seatbelts in modern cars too tight, I find the 3-point

fixing belts in the TR to be a very comfortable, snug fit.

AlanR