I am about to glue the carpet to the inside panels on either side underneath the dashboard. On the RH side the panel is flat but on the LH side the panel is dished or indented where the dipswitch fits on a LH drive vehicle.

My question is, should the carpet be guled into that indentation or does it go straight across it? And if it should follow the contour of the panel, how does one soften up & stretch the carpet enough to allow it to stay in place?

Thks Ian

Hi Ian,

I found the original was glued in place and follows the contour. Fit depends on carpet material, wool has a bit of give, others greater or lesser extent. The important thing is to get the draft excluder captured and a neat line down the front of the door. Coat the area in glue i.e panel and then coat approx area of the indentation on the carpet. Pre-drill holes for screws through the thick double over section, align here and then used a wall paper roller to press the carpet into the depression. You may find that you need to make a triangle cut to get the carpet to sit smoothly.Use very sharp craft knife or new Stanley blade. In my case being left hand drive, the position of the dip switch causes a few issues but can be used to hold the carpet in place.

let me know if you want a picture of it installed.

Rgds

Rod

Edited by Rodbr

Hi Rod,

A photo would be good thks.

I get the bit about coating and sticking the indentation first - good idea and not one that I would have thought of - but where is the thick double over section? Did you double the carpet over at the front to get a good edge because my carpet set has got a bound edge along the front. And you are saying use screws to hold it in place, I hadn't realised that there should be any.

So yes pls to a photo.

Rgds Ian

My carpet on these sections is mounted on hardboard which then slides in (awkwardly) and is screwed at the door edge ??

Hi Ian,

The way mine was done is as follows:

Glued the furflex tight to the front door section so that the seal part fitted as close as poss. The carpet section had been folded over 1" strip of Millboard conforming to the shape of the A post section. This was screwed with cup washers so that it fitted close to furflex seal. The rest is glued as described. take a pic of the binding you have and email it to me as I am not sure about where you mean.

Pics emailed to you