Oil cooler TR4

I could never get on with the spin on conversion oil filter. On two occasions I got severe earache from 'er indoors when the car leaked a stream of oil over our block paving. another issue was that I often found that removing the filter wound the filter head off with it! Since I have a pit it is no hassle to change the filter element (every 3,000 miles without fail) so I went back to the original set up. from time to time my car sees extended runs at speed on motorways/autoroutes/autobahns/autostradi and with that in mind I fitted a 13 row oil cooler in 1981 together with an in-line thermostat, which is still functioning perfectly although I am on my third cooler radiator and third set of hoses (now braided).

My difficulty in all but the hottest of weather is getting the engine hot enough. I have a (functioning) 91 degree thermostat in all year round. I do not and never have had a radiator duct fitted. I have no mechanical fan, just relying on a thirty + years old Kenlowe, which only cuts in if the car is idling for long periods or climbing steadily in a low gear at slowish speeds and at the moment I am running with the bottom four inches of the radiator blanked off. Even then the temperature gauge barely gets half way, I would prefer to see it on the hot side of normal. I do run with 50% anti-freeze all year round and thoroughly flush the system when changing this every two years. When the head was off two years ago I removed any crud I could find round the liner of number 4 so can only imagine my cooling is super efficient. This seems a strange problem to have but I can only scratch my head when I hear others complain of overheating problems.

Tim

This has been great :D:D:D

I drive the wheels off LNK, all over Europe, no oil cooler. However, I love my bling and have an alloy rad which is no better than the stanpart item it replaced, just nicer to polish. But I won't be without my elec fan !

Also have alloy catch tank, not the fibreglass item or the uber cool 'old oil can' beloved of racers, can't polish those

As others have said, to para phrase, Love me Love my car :P

Edited by North London Mike

So far as I remember oil cooler became standard on MGB when they converted the 3 bearing B motor to a 5 bearing type, they did it without changing the overall length of crank /block. thus the bearings are much narrower and more stressed, so oil cooler keeps oil optimum longer bearings cooler etc. That was gist of press articles at time.

Mike

This has been great :D:D:D

I drive the wheels off LNK, all over Europe, no oil cooler. However, I love my bling and have an alloy rad which is no better than the stanpart item it replaced, just nicer to polish. But I won't be without my elec fan !

Also have alloy catch tank, not the fibreglass item or the uber cool 'old oil can' beloved of racers, can't polish those

As others have said, to para phrase, Love me Love my car :P

Love it Mike

Just like you said!

Graze