Gearbox selector shaft stuck

Hi all, after removing the gearbox from the engine (previous post) I cleaned it up and then took the top off to have a look as the selection shafts were seized (the car looked like it had been lying up for some time). I took out the detents and springs etc. and give everything a good dose of wd40 and I managed to get the 1st/2nd shaft moving but no joy on the other 2. So I took out the O/D switches on the top and sure enough they were seized, aha ! I thought problem solved. No, still only minimum movement back and forth and a slight turn on the shafts.

I checked the manual and it mentions interlocks balls (keep it civil now) and I assume it must be this that is preventing the shafts moving in and out.

To summarize, the shafts move slightly back and forth (3-4 mm) and rotate slightly, although the outside of the box was decrepit the inside was fine with no nasty bit in the drained off oil. I did try heating it up but that made no difference and tapping with a hammer will not move them.

There are 2 plugs at the side so I assume the interlock balls are behind these so how do I get at them or is there any other solutions. I am in no rush as my rebulid is still at the fitting body panels stage but all thoughts are welcome.

Regards

Ron

The detents stop you from engaging more than one gear at a time so if you have first and second moving make sure it is back in the neutral position before you try and select one of the other gear positions.

If you need to take the selectors apart it's best to have the workshop manual handy and look out for all the little bits that will fly out when you least expect.

Good luck

Graham

You could try putting this in phosporic acid derust for a day or so.

All the big bits will be fine but you may need new springs. Also maybe balls if they are rusty.

If you heat it then drop it into cold water to increase the shock.

Butane/propane won't get it hot enough to affect any tempering.

Hi,

Had a top cover in parts recently.

The detents only provide resistance and positive positioning to the shafts. It's the interlock balls and roller (shuttle) that prevent more than one gear being selected at a time. As Graham says it's vital to make sure that the other two shafts are securely in their neutral positions (might be worth temporarily refitting the detent balls springs etc to those shafts) before attempting to move the other shaft.

If there's still no joy, and as 1st/2nd gear selector shaft is free you could remove it which should allow that side interlock ball to drop out, maybe the interlock roller too. If the ball and roller don't drop out you could remove the welch plug (drill a small hole through the centre of the plug, screw in a self tapper and lever the plug out with an old screw driver) that side which will give access to the cross drilled gallery. Moss stock the welch plugs and they are prone to leakage so replacement is not the end of the world.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Peter