When I close the garage door at night, I suspect my car gets up to this !

The rear springs, dampers and bushes were replaced last month and the car has only been on two very brief runs since. The garage tell me the car wasn't lifted on any hoist, but worked on over a pit as it took a week for the inevitable bolt to come out !

Panel gaps all seem as good as they were before.

However, the natural slump of the drivers side seems even more pronounced. I am aware of the suggestions that the springs on the drivers side were originally stiffer to allow for the ageing and fattening over time of TR owners, but these are matching new slightly stiffer springs.

So with a flat and level garage floor I measured the height of the chassis above ground and all seemed to be fairly level (although I am not sure what the appropriate tolerances on a 3A should be.

Opened the garage door the next day and it looked wonky again.

I think part of the problem is the illusion created by the overriders both leaning to the right for some odd reason.

This time I checked tyre pressures were matching, measured both the chassis height and the body work at various points.

I am conscious that the body panels are unlikely to be symmetrical or fitted exactly the same, so I didn't pay too much attention to these.

Weirdly the chassis measurements varied this time.

Anyway, after two weeks on hols, the car has hopefully had time to settle.

Questions:

1. Are there any simple visual or measurement guides for checking the chassis (I have no pit nor ramp)

2. I guess that height alone is no real guide as the chassis height off the ground is influenced by wheels, tyres and suspension.

3. Are there any obvious signs to tell if the chassis might have been twisted whilst in the garage ?

4. Could this happen if, for example, just one rear corner was jacked up whilst they allowed the bolt to release (they used time and lubricant rather than heat as they weren't too keen on my whiffy petrol tank )

5. I have fitted a steel hardtop, which I would have assumed stiffed the whole set up. Presumably this couldn't have any meaningful influence on the geometry of the car as a whole ?

Thoughts appreciated before crawl under there next weekend.

Hi Austin,

Have you by any chance fitted Superpro type bushes during the past few months. Did you lubricate them if not this may be the issue. It is quite possible that the bushes are sticking when ever the attitude of the car is altered as in jacked up. The optical illusion from "wonky " overriders and bumper height can get you thinking all kinds of things when looking from in front.

One way to ensure that the bushes are free would be to go round and back the nuts off and allow the car to settle over a couple of days. If this is the case then driving the car will help settle things down.

On a flat floor, with even tyre pressures, measure from chassis to ground and the same but opposite sides and that should give you an indication if anything is adrift. Drop me a pm and I'll look out the chassis measurement document for reference , although this is usually used fot accident assessment of the chassis.

The chassis will flex and it is part of the side screen challenge, but should settle out once you stop jacking the car to do the various jobs required.

Rgds

Rod

Cheers Rod

Indeed the garage did fit said bushes and I trust lubricated them ? !

I will crawl under there at the weekend and have a look - at least with the new rear springs on I should now be able to reverse onto the ramps as the over riders will clear the ramps

Hi Austin,

Other than checking that the nuts are tight I suggest that if you can legally take it out, then give it run of about 30 miles over different surfaces. If you hear squeeking or noises from the suspension it may well be that the bushes need to be looked at. Bring the car back to the garage floor and remeasure. Do this a couple of times and hopefully you should see an improvement. The more you try to find out what is causing it the more likely you will get fed up, fail to find the answer anyway and loose valuable mild weather shakedown trials.

Don't worry unduly, I'm sure things are not that serious and you will have a warm glow when you come back.You know it makes sense.

Best rgds

Rod