Direction of speedo drive cable from inside car

Silly it may seem but

which way does the speedo drive cable rotate when viewed from inside the car (my speedo has seized and broken the angle drive cable; I've got an old spare angle drive which seem fine but sticks if it drives the speedo cable anti-clickwise; I'm assuming that this is because the drive is clockwise; but dont want to reassemble to discover I'm wrong), as ever thanks.

If you just flick the end of the cable round in the right direction a bit, you will see the gauge jump up.

I am repairing four right angled drives at this moment. I know all about them now.

There are lots of marginal design features with the speedo cables and drives.

Miracle it ever works really.

I just found a way to make replacement stub-cables.

Please post a picture of yours. Or tell me if its an original Smiths one.

Remember that the drive is spurred from the prop shaft and so the right-angle drive goes the other way when you reverse.

It's no good if it jams in reverse because this will break the stub cable.

Lots of pictures of the inside of drives and other stuff in this topic:

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/47968-pesky-right-angled-drives/

Edited by AlanT

Alan, you probably didnt notice my speedo is jammed solid so cant rotate the cable once located in it, this is why the angle drive cable broke (I assume). I have 2 angle drives, the broken one and the one that doesnt go anticlockwise. The drive pinion from one doesnt seem to fit in the other so I'm a bit stumped. heres some pics

speedoangledrive005.jpg

speedoangledrive002.jpg

Edited by RobinTR6

Ok , neither of mine says Bastuck but thers no markings on either so cant tell. I'm not equipped to repair them. You said you were fixing 4 of these would you consider fixing mine ? (obviously I'll be happy to pay for the work etc), then I'd have a spare. My only concern is that if the drive gear from the unbroken one doesnt fit in the broken one does this mean that the unbroken one wont drive the speedo accurately ?

Can't tell a lot from these pictures.

The one on the left looks as if it may be an original for a TR6.

If it has a true "cheese-head" screw then it probably is.

A 4A original has a brass knurled nut.

I think the original Smiths ones were all made without circlips.

Did you have to remove peening to dismantle one of these?

None of the gears of these interchange between different manufacturers.

There are always minor variations in diameter and length which result in a bad fit.

But I think they all have the same "gear ratio".

So probably any one you buy will fit and read the same speed.

Thanks all, Alan you have a PM response and thanks.

Hi Robin,

this will not help you but will give you something to read during a stress break!!! :P

When I had my gearbox out the other week I also had a problem that the speedo had stopped working (or bouncing). I found that the speedo end of the cable was a fraction short and only just locating in the speedo square hole.

This put excess pressure on the small area of contact and had become rounded.

The new cable was apprx 1/16" longer and gave better engagement.

By chance I noticed that the input to the angle drive could be pushed in and pulled out quite a lot. When pulled it gave very good engagement of the bevel gear.

When pushed in it would miss the odd tooth.

Off with the end cap and a packing washer inserted. The speedo now works perfectly (unlike the rev counter)

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

These two drives arrived this morning.

One had a broken wire and is otherwise a good quality part. Not the best but useful.

Its fixed now:

https://flic.kr/p/poywQQ

The one that only turns one way interested me. How can this be?

Well this is the bevel-gear:

https://flic.kr/p/p765WS

The teeth of this have not been produced by grinding! The this is just a casting.

This makes teeth with way too much friction for proper turning.

This is really cheap "repro engineering" because production gear hobbing on a part like this is quite quick.

I will try to smooth this and make it useful.

An original Smiths one looks like this:

https://flic.kr/p/pjAjsN

and is so smooth it will turn in the breeze.

Edited by AlanT