TR3a Hood Trimming Advise

Hi,

I'm having my hood fitted to my TR3a at the moment and the chap that is doing it has asked me a couple of questions as this is the first TR3 he's done for about 10 years.

He has fitted the hood frame into the four captive nuts (the trim hasn't been fitted back yet in the photo) and is now going to fit the webbing kit onto the frame. He's asked how the webbing is folded or attached to the car body at the position shown in the photo below. Is it doubled under the bracket, or just underneath the bracket for example. He will be fitting each bracket with one lift the dot peg and one screw. Does this sound correct? If anyone has any pictures of theirs it would be great.

photo20_zps4832b1da.jpg

Also, I think I know the answer to this one, but Moto Build have supplied Lift the Dot fittings for where the hood fits the top of the windscreen, and my car has these fittings in the screen already (see photo below). However, from the parts catalogue and having checked Bill Piggots orginal TR3 book, we believe they should be Tenax fittings rather than lift the dot.

photo19_zpsf81bac01.jpg

Which fitting is correct. And if they should be Tenax, the screws on the existing lift the dot pegs are quite long, whereas the Tenax ones he has are quite short. He is concerned the longer thread might be holding the frame for the windscreen together. If he fits the shorter Tenax fasteners, will this affect the windscreen?

Hope this makes sense. Thanks for any help

Richard

My webbing is doubled under the bracket - but whether that's correct or not... who knows? It just seemed right when I did it 30 years ago and it reduces /eliminates the risk of it pulling out through fraying at the end. There's quite a pull on the frame when fitting the soft-top.

Definitely Tenax on the screen. The lift-the -dots must surely have had their threads cut down to clear the glass - there's a real risk of cracking it when screwing the Tenax fasteners in so take care. No the screws don't hold the frame together - it's just a U channel.

Good luck,

Phil.

Hi Richard,

Screen should be tenax pins to the screen top.but if the LTD have been fitted through the screen it may look a bit messy. Hopefully the Tenax are the same thread as the LTD. Take care with thread length when screwing them into the screen that they don't catch the screen edge. Typically the only have just enough thread to pass through outer frame.

Leave the rear deck hood webbing to last as you may need to adjust the tension once you have the hood fitted. There should be a bridging plate across the webbing similar to the hood frame ones. Remember that there are different ones with angled ends. You can fold over double but it tends make the hood bulge at that point.

drop me your email address and I'll send pics of the various sections and any views you think necessary.

rgds

Rod

Richard,

I just had a new hood fitted with a front weather strip sewn in (a ST accessory) by Coventry Hood & Tonneau (original ST suppliers) and Dave Lowe (a Stuart look-a-like) did an excellent job of fitting it - let me know if you want me to take any pictures for reference.

Make sure you fit the LTD plates horizontally on the hood as most are fitted 'incorrectly', as in vertically - although I know that some left the factory this way, hence the debate.

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

FWIW, I have LTD on my windscreen, I just prefer them. It ivery important to check the length of screw thread as it's all too easy to crack the glass.

BTW the top fastenings do not "hold the frame together" they are just there for hood attachment.

Bob.

Richard,

I just had a new hood fitted with a front weather strip sewn in (a ST accessory) by Coventry Hood & Tonneau (original ST suppliers) and Dave Lowe (a Stuart look-a-like) did an excellent job of fitting it - let me know if you want me to take any pictures for reference.

Make sure you fit the LTD plates horizontally on the hood as most are fitted 'incorrectly', as in vertically - although I know that some left the factory this way, hence the debate.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I have a hood to fit in the near future and would very much appreciate any pictures, particularly the additional weatherstrip at the front and the LTD plates. When you say fit the latter horizontally, I am assuming that you put the dot towards the rear of the vehicle?

Rgds Ian

Hi Andrew,

I have a hood to fit in the near future and would very much appreciate any pictures, particularly the additional weatherstrip at the front and the LTD plates. When you say fit the latter horizontally, I am assuming that you put the dot towards the rear of the vehicle?

Rgds Ian

H Ian,

Photos attached below - the fitting is horizontal as per photo.

The weather strip is a reproduction of the ST accessory which Coventry Hood & Tonneau made up from a NOS one provided by Mike Ellis; their intention is to offer it through Moss etc.

10612592_10203027484423248_5015541763557

10689547_10203027484463249_9161124745416

10456191_10203027484303245_5164379471778

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew is correct in saying there is a debate on the Lift-a-Dot fasteners. My view is that they should be vertical with the dot at the bottom. Back in the day I seem to remember that most cars were fitted this way and it is more logical for unfastening them. I guess others may remember things differently.

Mike

Andrew is correct in saying there is a debate on the Lift-a-Dot fasteners. My view is that they should be vertical with the dot at the bottom. Back in the day I seem to remember that most cars were fitted this way and it is more logical for unfastening them. I guess others may remember things differently.

Mike

Mike and I briefly touched on this subject the other night - thinking about it logically, placing the fitting horizontally would enable removing the hood easily if started by 'lifting the dot' from the leading fitting above the B post on nearside or offside depending which way the Dot faced? I guess that saves trying to squeeze your fingers under the hood fabric.

Interestingly, the fittings were vertical on TuRK's previous hood fitting in 1970.

Cheers

Andrew

I also looked into the lift the dot fastners on the deck fitting of the hood. I found contemporary pictures showing vertical fitment, eg Chris Harvey's book "TR for Triumph" page 85, so decided to follow that. But horizontal does make a lot of sense also.

Cheers, Bill