Boot lock repair panel

All, I need to repair the boot lid of my TR4, but I only need to make the boot lock hole the correct shape again as the lock rotates in the boor lid whether its locked or not, thus making the boot insecure.

Given the cost of a new repair panel is £300ish and I only need to lock hole portion, does any body know where I can gat a repair patch or have the correct dimensions so I can fabricate my own.

Regards

Mark

Mark

I've got the same problem but can't do any welding as car is painted and otherwise complete

Dimensions would help also

Graze

Mark

I've got the same problem but can't do any welding as car is painted and otherwise complete

Dimensions would help also

Graze

Hi Graze, yes I'd like not to weld too as mine too is virtually pristine, but unless the metal is folded back inside and just needs bending back or something can be done inside, I'd resigned myself to having to do some paint repairs. Need to strip it out to see what the actual damage is, but the wife went out an brought a new bathroom pedestal basin and tap last night, so that's most of my Saturday booked up.

Mark

Hi Mark,

if you have good paintwork it would be a shame to start welding around it.

When looking inside at the lock/handle hole have a very good look along the bottom folded edge of the boot. People do horrid things here to cover up rust etc.

If the bottom fold is poor then you may well require extensive work and paint.

However if in good order then plan B comes in to play (if only we knew what plan B was).

The escutcheon for the handle has the two ears that fit into the extended slots in the hole.

If they protrude far enough through the skin panel it may be possible bond (glue) a plate on the inside that is big enough to fit snugly to support the glue.

Good luck

Roger

Hi Mark,

if you have good paintwork it would be a shame to start welding around it.

When looking inside at the lock/handle hole have a very good look along the bottom folded edge of the boot. People do horrid things here to cover up rust etc.

If the bottom fold is poor then you may well require extensive work and paint.

However if in good order then plan B comes in to play (if only we knew what plan B was).

The escutcheon for the handle has the two ears that fit into the extended slots in the hole.

If they protrude far enough through the skin panel it may be possible bond (glue) a plate on the inside that is big enough to fit snugly to support the glue.

Good luck

Roger

Hi Roger, yes definitely need to get in there and see the damage/rust/bodgery. Was hoping to have a days tinkering on Saturday, but the boss has some plumbing tasks in mind for me. If there is a glue type compound that could be used to hold a plate inside the boot lid to provide suitable location for the handle that would be better for me, at this point. See if I can get some time tonight to strip the handle out and take some pictures.

Mark.

Here is horrible stuff on the bottom of a boot-lid.

https://flic.kr/p/fqphm6

https://flic.kr/p/fwbaa5

Here is the size of hole I am cutting.

Bear in mind that I am copying something that someone else may have copied from someone.

In other words I can't be sure that the factory cut them this way.

Hole dia = 0.85in, 21.5mm

Slot length = 1.15in, 29mm

Slot height = 0.25, 6.4mm

I'd suggest you make a start a bit smaller and work up to get the fit you want.

I put two 3/16in hole in first, then cut the central hole with a conecut. Then file out a bit.

Edited by AlanT

Here is horrible stuff on the bottom of a boot-lid.

https://flic.kr/p/fqphm6

https://flic.kr/p/fwbaa5

Here is the size of hole I am cutting.

Bear in mind that I am copying something that someone else may have copied from someone.

In other words I can't be sure that the factory cut them this way.

Hole dia = 0.85in, 21.5mm

Slot length = 1.15in, 29mm

Slot height = 0.25, 6.4mm

I'd suggest you make a start a bit smaller and work up to get the fit you want.

I put two 3/16in hole in first, then cut the central hole with a conecut. Then file out a bit.

Thanks Alan, The plan is to cut some stiff card slightly thicker than the steel in the boot lid and use the lock handle as a guide, so I can practice rather than play jeopardy with my dremel then use that as a template to see what can be done.

Appreciate the caveat on the dimensions.

Mark

Edited by MRG1965

Ask if you need any more photos or info.

Cheers Alan, will do, will drop some photos in, once I've worked out how to add photos, seems only to like web based photos, can't browse my own pc and upload, bizar. Can't even see how to load images in to my media, must be missing something very obvious or a setting is switched off.

Mark

Hi Mark,

if you can go photobucket etc then that makes life easy. However uploading pics is easy.

Firstly you are limitedto 1.9Mb. Reduce your pic size to appx 100Kb.

Go into the 'reply to this topic' box.

Click on 'more reply options' bottom righthand corner.

Click on 'browse'

Double click your pic

Click on 'attch this file' - bottom lefthand corner.

PLace cursor where you want the pic.

Click on add file middle lefthand side.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Hi Mark,

if you can go photobucket etc then that makes life easy. However uploading pics is easy.

Firstly you are limitedto 1.9Mb. Reduce your pic size to appx 100Kb.

Goint the 'reply to this topic' box.

Click on 'more reply options' bottom righthand corner.

Click on 'browse'

Double click your pic

Click on 'attch this file' - bottom lefthand corner.

PLace cursor where you want the pic.

Click on add file middle lefthand side.

Roger

Hi Roger, ah easy when you know how, thanks.

File names need to be very short, that's the only thing I noticed.

Mark

post-12879-0-35601300-1410334174_thumb.jpgpost-12879-0-01434500-1410334362_thumb.jpg

Edited by MRG1965
  • 8 months later...

Well you can strip off the handle and look for the possible reason to remove that boot lids.I think it is not a good idea to apply glue to hold those plates as it could get off soon and then you have to fix it again.I would rather suggest to fabricate the required parts with provided dimensions or get some locksmith to look for the problem.The expert advice and live evalaution of the problem id musyt and can help.

SPAMMER - Do Not Click on link

link is to Retire ready.co.uk. Bandoola

I have reported it

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT