Dip Switch - repro parts again!

Hi fellow sidescreeners,

in Jan 2010 I rewired TuRK and at the same time fitted a new repro foot operated dip switch, amongst others. Well, with 6 days to go before we leave for Angouleme it has decided to pack up (I checked the lights a few weeks ago and they were fine - not it used since!) - power to the switch, but nothing out (and something is rattling around inside) so I don't have main or high beams. Now this wouldn't be so bad if the car had been used regularly at night, but it hadn't and probably covered no more than 100 miles of night time driving, if that.

So, bought a new one yesterday and the same thing - it worked for a couple of presses, got hot and now power goes in, but nothing comes out!

Anyone else come across this problem and decided to by-pass the dip switch and fit toggle switches on the dash? If so, how did you go about it i.e. type of switches, relays etc?

Cheers

Andrew

Its worth wiring the lights through relays anyway Andrew, rather than leaving the switch to carry all the current, irrespective of whether you use the original foot switch or one on the dash. Its pretty simple to do with two 'make' types (SPST) relays. The advantage of using two relays instead of a single change-over type is that the main light feed does not have to come from the lighting switch - you can leave most of the existing wiring alone and have a single new heavy feed wire which will minimise voltage drop and means less stress on the switches which only have to handle a low current. I tried to paste a circuit but the system doesn't seem to like it - hope this link works. Suitable relays are available in Halfords.

Rob

post-7865-0-60426400-1410084604_thumb.jpg

Edited by RobH

I was lucky enough to have a nos switch lying in a drawer for the last 30 years, thanks to my dad for never throwing anything out!!

Hi Andrew

I've come to the end of my tether with repro stuff, only had my TR for about three years but the amount of rubbish I've bought is incredible. Last part was from a well know supplier brake master absolute ****. I know you don't have the option at such short notice but from now on I'm getting everything refurbished. Is there anyway you can sort something out short term and then source a good part on your return.

Good luck hope you have a good trip one way or the other, Mark