Grommet Steering Tube

Well, devil is in details, they say.

I'm about the build in the steering box and tube. While looking how, i noticed a little detail in Bill P. book.

There seems to be a difference in the grommet used on the cars? I have added a picture and circled the difference in the grommet.

Could be this is just an owners own decision, cant find any change in the production number

Nothing big, but changing afterwards is a bit of a thing , so do it right first time..

Naamloos.jpg

The left hand picture is correct for early cars though I dont know when it changed to the rubber boot version.

Stuart.

Never seen that early type before, but then my

sdescreens have been 3As in the 56,000 range.

The later type of grommet needs to be tucked

into a slot, formed on the bulkhead with a strip

of metal.

So - if you have the strip, then the later style

grommet will be correct.

If not, then you will need to find/adapt a plain

grommet that works

AlanR

Early cars dont have the strip and the metal plate is shaped with a return round the outside and countersinks for the screws. The rubber is just a flat piece with holes in.

Stuart.

Mine being an early car TS 9551 It had the flat rubber seal - held in place by a steel triangular plate

with "curled over edges". The car has two of these plates -left & right handed.

Include in my "grommet set" from the TR shop was one of the rubber seals (flat triangular rubber with rounded corners) which had a cental hole aprox 15mm dia.

I believe this is to allow part of the cable loom to exit the engine compartment on later cars. I ordered an extra seal without the central hole (TR shop) & used that on the passenger side, then used the original - first enlarging the hole - for the steering column.

It was tricky to get it all aligned without the column touching the bulkhead, or the metal plate, but just about got there eventually.

I suspect that the change to the large funnel shaped seal was to make this fitting easier.

Bob.

Here's what the TRA judging guide says about the steering column grommet:

Steering Blanking Plugs. Two rubber plugs are used where the steering tube enters the firewall. A small round
plug (about 1/2 inch in diameter) is mostly obscured by the large rubber plug that the steering tube passes through.
The large plug on early cars has a flat profile with steel cover plate; the later style plug has a boot profile and
clamps to the tube with a radiator-style wire clamp. TR2s should have the early style large plug; TR3s and TR3As
with rigid steering may have either style; TRs with split steering should have the later style plug.

Don't know what the 1/2" plug is, but otherwise, I agree with above.

Bob.

On my LHD TR3A there is a hole very close to where the steering column goes through the firewall that is covered up by the rubber boot. Probably a hole that is actually used on a RHD car.

Grommet is visible at the bottom right of the hole

DSC_0006_zpsd38af0fb.jpg

Edited by foster461

Probably for the blanking plate screws?

Other question while we are at this spot on the car..:

If you take a look at this picture of Foster, just beside the hole to the left, there is a slim metal strip. the other side has the same strip.

Any idea what the use is of this ?

Hi Edwin

That strip is for tucking the edge of the later type seal into

cheers

Alan

Correct, not fitted to early cars.

The small rubber grommet is indeed to fill the hole where a sprung spire nut is fitted for opposite hand steering.

The hole in the flat blanking rubber is normally used for the vent flap drain for post TS6157 cars.

Stuart.

Hang on a minute, My car does have these strips, but I do not know what they are for.

I don't buy that they have anything to do with the steering column seal whether the flat rubber type, or the cone shaped one.

they are just not in the right place to be of any use there.

The cone shaped seal simply pushes against the bulkhead (quite hard) , & is held there by the "hose clip" around the lower circular end.

Bob.

The two plates should be opposite handed, one is to hold the flat rubber column seal in place, the other is to hold another flat rubber seal on the passenger side. - it will either have a smaller hole in it for the drain pipe from the fresh air vent, or no hole. see various photos earlier in this thread.

Bob