Hi Guys,

with some help on here I have found that the relay in my parts box ( see other post) is probably a Lucas 11RA, but the pictures I have found of that item are correct in size and shape but are blue and mine is bright yellow.

Anyway it came from my stag years ago, the stag was fitted with tow bar and electrics.

I am now fitting tow bar to my 6 and wonder if the 11RA is any use to me, or if not any suggestions for tow wiring on a 6 would be most gratefully received, especially suggestions of suitable other relays if necessary.

thanks team

There's one on eBay, blue, that says it dims the rear lights and flashers at night so as to avoid dazzling cars behind. I wonder if in your application it was used to dim the rear lights and flashers when towing to avoid reflection off the front of the trailer. Modern towing setups disable the car rear fog lights for this reason.

That could well be the application, and I am sure the colour of the casing is irrelevant. I cannot find any wiring and operation details for the relay anywhere and there are none marked on the casing.

probably not worth using it on my application.

I do wonder if I may have to use an upgraded flasher relay

Thanks

You will need to upgrade the flasher if it's a thermal one or it will flash very slowly or not at all with the trailer connected. The electronic ones are tolerant of wide ranges of loading. I guess you could get away with putting LED lights in the trailer which should allow a thermal flasher to work OK.

A yellow relay was used by Ford in the 1990s to control the internal light from the door switches. It had a normal 4 contact relay base and was about 4 cms high.

Inside was some electronics ( time delay) and a normal relay. TVRs also used the device, perhaps Triumph also.

If you prise off the plastic case you will tell if it is a similar device.

Bob

No the night dimming relay was fitted to UK spec cars as well. I thought I new every inch of the wiring on my 71 GT6 until it "failed" it's MOT because the stop lights dimmed when the brakes were applied. I went away, puzzled, until I checked the wiring diagram and hey presto I noticed there was a night dimming relay connected. I shorted it out and the MOT was passed. Apparently at the time it was thought that overly bright lights at night were considered impolite-how times have changed!

Mine was yellow by the way-but as you've said the colour probably doesn't matter.

Alan

Can anyone reccomend a suitable replacement electronic flasher relay please ?