Self Centre Steering and Rear Track Geometry

Hi

My TR4a steering does self centre to some extent, but it is not great. For instance you cannot just allow it to feed back through your hands with ease, so I wondered what other owners cars are like so I can make some comparison?

I note there is next to no castor adjustment to speak of, and there is no stiffness in the rack, column or ball joints, and tyres are good.

I also need to carry out realignment of the rear tracking, which I would guess is around 1/8" toe in? Anyone have a good method for doing this without expensive electronic or tracking kit?

Comments appreciated.

Kevin

I never had much self centring on my 6 and it's the same with the 4A. Negative camber at the front will take away some self centring and that's what I put it down to as I have 1 degree negative at the front and that's how I had the 6 set up. Straight ahead stability is pretty good as is cornering so I can live with winding the wheel back. And it's been 4 wheel aligned.

Edited by peejay4A

Hi

My TR4a steering does self centre to some extent, but it is not great. For instance you cannot just allow it to feed back through your hands with ease, so I wondered what other owners cars are like so I can make some comparison?

I note there is next to no castor adjustment to speak of, and there is no stiffness in the rack, column or ball joints, and tyres are good.

I also need to carry out realignment of the rear tracking, which I would guess is around 1/8" toe in? Anyone have a good method for doing this without expensive electronic or tracking kit?

Comments appreciated.

Kevin

Rear toe depends upon stiffness of the trailing arm bushes. I have Silentblocs so set them parallel. If 1/8" is standard for rubber bushes, then I'd guess 1/16th for polybushes. Keep asking!

I align the rears at hub height with a horizontal straight edge aimed at the front tyres, allowing for difference if any in track ( ie width) front and rear. Use geometry to calculate the rear toe projected onto the front tyre, allowing for its toe too. Check at several wheel rotations in case tyre is distorted.

Would use a laser level to replace straight edge if doing it again.

Peter